[fa.railroad] big back log of articles from Usenet

railroad@ucbvax.ARPA (11/12/84)

From: Lee Moore  <lee@rochester.arpa>

Here is some of the articles that appeared on Usenet in the last
couple months.

=lee

From: parnass@ihuxf.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S)
Subject: Re: IL Railway Museum scanner freqs - (nf)
Date: Thu, 21-Jun-84 03:37:34 EDT

> How does one get *all* RR radio frequencies?  from the FCC?  ICC?

	From the:

	US Dept of Commerce,
	National Technical Information Service (NTIS)
	5285 Port Royal Rd.
	Springfield, VA 22161
	tel: (703)487-4807

	Ask for a price list and description of the FCC Master Frequency
	family of microfiche products.

> Can we start a discussion on the benefits of scanner radios, and
> include points about various models, e.g. portable vs. non-portable,
> programmable vs. fixed, relative performance, handor shoulder carrying,
> mounting in cars, etc.

	This topic is being discussed in "net.ham-radio".

Bob Parnass,  AT&T Bell Laboratories - ihnp4!ihuxf!parnass - (312)979-5414

From: burton@fortune.UUCP
Subject: Re: Brighton Line (BMT, Brooklyn)
Date: Thu, 21-Jun-84 15:06:59 EDT
Sender: notes@fortune.UUCP

Ed,

I didn't forget the Culver line, originally built about 1875 by Andrew Culver.
I went to school from Queens to the Bronx (Bx. H.S. of Science), and my age
is shown since I recall the 10 cent fare.

Any other Electric Railroaders' Association members on the net?

  Philip Burton      101 Twin Dolphin Drive-MS 133
  Fortune Systems    Redwood City, CA  94065	     (415) 595-8444 x 526
			      - - -
{ihnp4 [ucbvax | decvax!decwrl]!amd70 harpo hpda }!fortune!burton

From: essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs)
Subject: Re: Brighton Line (BMT, Brooklyn) - (nf)
Date: Fri, 22-Jun-84 15:09:31 EDT

Speaking of old surface right of way, the Culver line also had
a surface right of way underneath it used by a freight railroad
(the South Brooklyn Railroad, if memory serves me correctly),
which ran from the docks in the Bush Terminal area (around 39th
St) to Coney Island (the BMT Coney Island Shops).  Along MacDonald
Ave., the tracks were shared with trolley cars until about 1956 or so.
The railroad at one time used steeple cab electric locomotives,
operating either from third rail (they shared tracks with the
subway for a short distance between 4th and 9th Aves) or trolley
wire.  It was later dieselized.  Anyone know if it is still
running?
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

From: wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin )
Date: Fri, 22-Jun-84 09:56:15 EDT

There is a commercial source for railroad frequency listings; a book
by Tom Kneitel called RAIL-SCAN. The blurb on it claims that it is
"the absolute largest compilation of railroad scanner frequencies
ever published -- 4000 railroad-related listings". It is listed in the
catalog of CRB Research (PO Box 56, Commack, NY 11725), at $7.95 (Item # RS).

This catalog also has many other scanner and communications books,
and some of the standard survivalist and "covert operations" books
sold by many mail-order dealers.  (Anybody ever notice that these
books are always sold mail-order, and not in bookstores where you
could look at them first? I believe it's because the sellers
realize that if a customer gets a chance to scan through the book
first, he'll realize it is not worth the $8.95 or whatever the
book costs... Anyway, that refers to the "build your own
submachinegun" books, not the scanner frequency lists, though
they are probably overpriced, too.)

Probably worth dropping them a postcard for the catalog, in
any case.

Will

From: alex@sdcsvax.UUCP
Subject: In Hoc Scamo Nollum Bunco (the L.A. subway scam)
Date: Mon, 2-Jul-84 21:04:37 EDT

Your tax dollars may go to pay for the sins of your fathers--specifically,
the proposed L.A. "MetroRail".  I've seen scams before, and this one
smells of it.  They're talking $200 million a mile to build a 14 mile
(multiply by 1.61 to get Klicks) subway.

I need not remind you thusiats that until the mid-60s L.A. had 1200+
miles of trolleys; you can thank GM for buying the Red Cars and giving
the city buses (really--like the first dose of heroin).  Instead of
using the existing roads (most of which the city still owns, BTW), the
RTD (SoCal Rapid Transit Dist., or Racing Toward Disaster) wants to
start completely over with a combined heavy/light system.  With their
way of budgeting, the National Debt will double in size.

Nope, I have no suggestions for stopping it.  Except perhaps to nuke RTD
HQ (not a bad idea).  Did you know that L.A. still has a 13-mile subway
tunnel, now stuffed with Hall of Records archives?  They didn't even
give us back Angel's Flight.

(info from word-of-mouth and an excellent series by the L.A. Times)

Yours for better mass transit on rails,
Alex

From: ntt@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader)
Subject: Re: Subways of US and Canada - further notes on Toronto system
Date: Tue, 3-Jul-84 19:51:41 EDT

> Toronto, Canada:  Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).  Population, 2.2 million.
> Heavy rail, 4 foot 10 7/8 inch gauge, 34.1 miles in two lines, 59 stations,
> 5.2 miles in tunnel.  TTC also operates a light rail system.  Construction
> is under way on a 4.3 mile Scarborough Rapid Transit light rail line.
> About 204 million riders a year.

The writer appears to be distinguishing between "tunnel" meaning tube (bored)
tunnel, and "subway" meaning cut-and-cover construction.  Most of the TTC
subway that isn't in "tunnel" IS in "subway"; about 8 or 9 miles are on the
surface.

The "light rail" or streetcar network is almost entirely located on the
streets, sharing space with cars, and is the last such system in the
continent (though some cities have small fractions of street trackage).
There are 8 routes (most of the time) totalling about 50 miles, plus extra
trackage on other streets used for diversions.  The gauge is 4 foot 10 7/8
inches, same as the subway.  It was made nonstandard to ensure that it would
never be used for steam trains; then the subway was made the same so that
parts of subway car bogies (trucks) could be maintained in streetcar shops.
The fleet is a mix of PCCs (which are being retired) and CLRVs made by UTDC.
Both use trolley poles rather than pantographs.  This system is much more
convenient where the routes intersect with trolleybuses!  Why ever did San
Francisco get pantographs?  Was it the only way the cars they got came?

The Scarborough system will use "intermediate capacity" articulated cars
(or coupled pairs, perhaps), larger than streetcars, running on standard
gauge track on a disused railway right-of-way.  There was politics here.
Toronto area readers may be interested to know that they can preview the
new cars by going to Kennedy subway station any Saturday or Sunday from
July 14* to the end of August -- I think the hours are 10 am to 4 pm.
The cars will make a short out-and-back trip (no getting off).  The route
is scheduled to open sometime next year.  *I'm not quite positive of
this date, but I am almost positive.

The complete TTC system (which includes about 120 bus and trolleybus routes
as well as the subway and streetcars) has the best accident safety record
of all transit systems in large (>1million) cities on the continent.  A body
called something like American Transit Assn. gives an annual award for this,
and the TTC has won it for something like 12 of the last 15 years.

The TTC has flat fares with free transfers over the entire system including
subways.  Tokens provide mechanical entrance to subway stations for full-fare
passengers; a monthly unlimited travel pass is available and costs 53*fare.
Experiments are now in progress with magnetic-stripe-reading gates; if these
are successful pass users will gain mechanical entrances, but tokens will
be replaced (boo!!) by striped, single-use cardboard tickets (as in Montreal).

Mark Brader, TTC fan

From: friedman@uiucdcs
Subject: light rail (streetcar) systems
Date: Thu, 5-Jul-84 13:40:00 EDT

My own railroading interest started with an interest in streetcars, and that
is still my primary interest.  Who else out there is interested in streetcars?

There are still a number of streetcar systems in the US and Canada, and the
number is growing.  Only one system retains the real, old fashioned type of
vehicle, and that is New Orleans, whose cars date back to 1924.  A number
of other systems have been using the streamlined PCC streetcars, designed
in the 1930s and 40s (the last of them were built in the US in the late 1940s,
although they were manufactured in Europe later than that).

More recently, several new streetcar systems have been built, only now, people
feel the need for a modern term; "streetcar" or "trolley" just sounds too old
fashioned, I guess.  So the modern term, LRT (for light rail transit), has come
into use.  And the new cars are often called LRVs:  light rail vehicles.

The "Mass Transit" issue for June 1984 has a compilation of all the LRT
systems, new and old, in the world.  Here is an extract of information on
US and Canadian light rail systems, using information from this article
and other sources.

Boston, Massachusetts:  Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA).
The Boston light rail system is 34.8 miles long, and carries about 100,000
passengers per weekday.  There are 64 PCC cars and 139 Boeing LRVs in use.
Parts of this system go back to 1897.

Buffalo, New York:  Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority.  This system is
expected to open in April 1985.  It will be 6.4 miles long and will have 12
stations.  Most of the system will be underground.  Projected ridership is
45,000 daily by 1985.  27 LRVs are being built by Japan's Tokyu Car Corp. of
Yokohama.

Calgary, Alberta:  Calgary Transit.  This system began operation in 1981,
and has 7.7 miles in service with another 6.4 miles under construction.
It carries 40,000 passengers per weekday.  The 30 LRV cars were built by
Siemens-Duewag.

Cleveland, Ohio:  Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA).  This
system began operation in 1920.  The entire line was recently rebuilt from
the railbed up, and the overhead system changed from trolley pole to support
both trolley poles and pantographs.  It operates 48 LRVs built by Breda (Italy)
plus 20 PCCs on standby and 20 more in storage.  At least some of the PCCs have
been equipped with half-pantographs in place of trolley poles.  The system in-
cludes two lines, is 13.3 miles long, and averages 17,000 riders each weekday.

Detroit, Michigan:  Southeastern Metropolitan Transportation Authority (SEMTA).
Detroit currently operates a short line with vintage trolleys over a 35 1/2
inch gauge track in the downtown area, more as a tourist attraction than a
transit line; it opened in 1976.  SEMTA is planning a new LRT system, to be
about 15 miles long initially and open in 1990; it is projected to be about
52.5 miles long when completed.

Edmonton, Alberta:  Edmonton Transit.  Edmonton's system is now 6.4 miles
long, extended in 1981 and 1983 from an initial 4.5 miles that opened in 1978.
There are 24 Diemens-Duewag LRTs serving 8 stations.  Further extensions are
planned.  Ridership is about 20,000 per day.

Ft. Worth, Texas:  Tandy Corp.  This privately-owned, 1.3 mile line connects
a parking lot to a downtown shopping and office complex.  It operates 8
rebuilt PCC cars.

Newark, New Jersey:  N. J. Transit.  The Newark system, opened in 1935, runs
26 St. Louis Car Co. PCC cars over a 4.2 mile line carrying 10,000 passengers
per weekday.  The line begins in subway at the Pennsylvania Station basement
in Newark, and leaves the subway for private right of way at grade level
1.6 miles from the Station.

New Orleans, Louisiana:  New Orleans Regional Transit Authority.  This is a
true streetcar line, running 35 cars built by Perley Thomas Car Co. of High
Point, North Carolina (long since out of business) in 1924, over a line that
opened as a suburban steam line in 1835 (making it the oldest operating street-
car line in the world).  In electrified form, the 6.5 mile line dates from
1893.  It carries 21,000 riders per weekday.  Gauge is 5 feet 2 1/2 inches.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:  Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
(SEPTA).  This system opened in 1892 in electrified form, and still includes
95.6 miles of streetcar lines (10 routes).  Average weekday ridership is
90,000.  SEPTA runs 144 new Kawasaki-built LRVs and 145 PCCs, with 164 more
LRVs on order from Kawasaki.  112 PCCs are being extensively rebuilt.  Gauge
is 5 feet 2 1/2 inches.

Pittsburg, Pennsylvania:  Port Authority of Allegheny County (PAT).  This
system is being rebuilt from a 22.5 mile remnant of the old streetcar system,
opened in electric form in 1891.  The first 2.8 miles of a 10.5 mile rebuilt
line were opened April 15, 1984.  The reconstruction includes a 1.1 mile down-
town subway, expected to open next November.  45 of the present 90 PCC cars
are being rebuilt (losing their trolley poles to half-pantographs, among other
changes) to augment 55 new LRVs on order from Siemens-Duewag.

Portland, Oregon:  Tri-County Metropolitan Transit District (Tri-Met).  This
system is expected to open in mid 1986.  It will be 15.1 miles long initially,
and is projected to carry 42,000 passengers per weekday; a 15.5 mile extension
is planned.  26 articulated cars are on order from Bombardier of Canada, which
is supplying a Belgian design.

Sacramento, California:  Sacramento Regional Transit District.  This 18.3
mile system is expected to open in spring of 1986.  The 26 LRV cars are on
order from Siemens-Allis (Atlanta, Georgia) for delivery between August 1985
and February 1986.  They will be articulated, 80 feet long, seating 64 each,
and will operate in trains of one to four cars at speeds up to 55 mph.
Ridership is projected at 24,000 passengers per weekday.

San Diego, California:  Metropolitan Transit Development Board (MTDB).
The 15.9 mile San Ysidro line, popularly known as the Tijuana Trolley, opened
in 1981, and serves 14,000 riders per weekday.  Ground was broken June 1, 1984
on a 4.5 mile second line, expected to open in April 1986, and to be extended
to 17.3 miles.  The 24 LRV cars were built by Siemens-Duewag; 6 more are on
order for November 1985 delivery.

San Francisco, California:  San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni).  Everyone
knows about the three famous cable car lines, which reopened June 21, 1984
after extensize rebuilding; the cable system could be considered light rail
transit, I guess.  Muni also operates a 5-route electric light rail system of
21.3 miles with 130 Boeing-built LRVs and 50 PCCs.  Ridership is 162,000 per
weekday.  The section from old Twin Peaks Tunnel to downtown was moved from
surface trackage to subway (a level above the BART subway) in 1981; the surface
tracks to downtown remain, and have been used in recent years for weekend
service [I don't know if that is still going on] and for tourist service using
vintage electric streetcars, some borrowed from nearby railroad museums.

San Jose, California:  Santa Clara County Transportation Agency.  Construction
of a 21-mile light rail system is scheduled to begin in early 1985, with an
opening date in 1987.  50 LRVs have been ordered from Urban Transportation
Development Corp. (UTDC) of Canada, with delivery of the first car scheduled
for early 1986.

Seattle, Washington:  Seattle Metro.  Seattle opened a waterfront streetcar
line in 1982, using 4 cars purchased from Melbourne, Australia.  The line is
1.6 miles long and carries about 2,000 riders per weekday.

Toronto, Canada:  Toronto Transit Commission.  Toronto's electric streetcar
system opened in 1892.  Currently, the system includes 8 routes, 45.6 miles,
gauge 4 feet 10 7/8 inches.  Cars include 110 PCCs and 190 CLRVs (Canadian
LRVs) from UTDC, manufactured by Hawker Siddeley.  Six CLRV prototype cars were
built by S. I. G. of Switzerland.  These cars are equipped with trolley poles.
There is a 4.3 mile standard gauge extension (the Scarborough Rapid Transit)
due to open in March 1985.  ALRT (advanced LRT) cars for the Scarborough line
are from UTDC; I think these are half-pantograph equipped.

Vancouver, British Columbia:  British Columbia Transit (BCT).  This new 13.3
mile system is scheduled to open in early 1986; about 1 mile is underground.
Average weekday ridership is projected at 100,000 by 1990.  UTDC is to supply
114 ALRT cars, with delivery to be completed by late 1986.

					George Friedman

From: friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP
Subject: Re: Subways of US and Canada
Date: Thu, 5-Jul-84 11:46:00 EDT

Thanks to those who have sent corrections and additions to the list of subway
systems I posted.  I recently noticed two more systems that include at least
some underground sections, and so should have been included.  Neither is yet
in operation.

Buffalo, New York:  Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority.  This system is
expected to open in April 1985.  It will be 6.4 miles long and will have 12
stations.  Most of the system will be underground.  Projected ridership is
45,000 daily by 1985.  27 LRVs are being built by Japan's Tokyu Car Corp. of
Yokohama.

Vancouver, British Columbia:  British Columbia Transit (BCT).  This new 13.3
mile system is scheduled to open in early 1986; about 1 mile is underground.
Population of the metropolitan area is about 1.2 million.  Average weekday

From: friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP
Subject: Re: Re: Subways of US and Canada - furth
Date: Thu, 5-Jul-84 10:53:00 EDT

Thanks to Mark Brader for the additional details on Toronto.  My information
is second hand.  As to "tunnel" vs. "subway", I don't know; I would not have
made such a distinction, but the information reported was supposedly supplied
by TTC, and either they or Mass Transit could have used such a distinction
without my realizing it.

I would only quarrel with the statement that TTC's streetcar system is the
last such on the continent.  It is a very good one, and perhaps the most
extensive surviving streetcar system.  Mexico City also has a good one (I
limited my article to USA and Canada, but Mexico is on this continent).
And at least Philadelphia (10 routes) and San Francisco (5 routes) still
include enough routes to merit the (subjective) noun "system" (as opposed
to a one-route remnant, such as New Orleans) with significant amounts of
street running.

As to trolley poles vs. pantographs:  I suspect that the real reason that
trolley poles are going the way of the dinosaur, in favor of half-pantographs,
is that a pantograph (or half) can't slip off the wire, as a trolley pole can.
Junctions are also simpler, requiring no frog (that "thing" in the overhead
that connects one wire from one direction to either of two from the other
direction).  I have seen a picture of an LRV of the San Francisco/Boston type
(Boeing made) equipped with a trolley pole, but only for testing purposes on
a system whose overhead at the time (I think it was Boston's) would not
accept a pantograph.  Obviously, if SF had wanted to, they could have used
trolley poles on their LRVs, but I think the problem of losing the pole while
in the subway probably made the difference.  You're right, though, about the
problem of crossing a pantograph line with a trolley coach dual-wire line;
I can't think of any way to equip a TC with pantographs!  I'm not sure of this,
but I'll stick my neck out:  I think SF may in fact have no such crossings.

From: ntt@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader)
Subject: Reporting on Toronto's Scarborough Rapid Transit line
Date: Wed, 18-Jul-84 11:38:27 EDT

On Sunday I took one of the preview rides on the Scarborough RT line.
Since then I've been failing to remember to bring along the brochures
they handed out, but never mind, I will write this up from memory.

This system has characteristics of both light and heavy rail transit and
the working name before they settled on RT was ICTS - Intermediate Capacity
Transit System.  The tracks are on their own right-of-way, mostly on the
surface beside a railway, plus some elevated route and a short tunnel section.
The stations are spaced like subway stations and have high platforms.
The trains are capable of running at 50 mph but service speed will be 43.
The conversion from the originally planned line, running with streetcars but
designed for eventual upgrade to subway, to ICTS, was supposed to cause a
year and a half's delay in the opening, and the now-planned date is next
spring, a further half year behind.  As I said, there was politics here.

The motors are *linear induction*; that is, coils fixed to the bottoms of
the bogies (trucks) react with a flat, foot-wide aluminum strip set in the
center of the track, called the "reaction rail".  This, combined with
welded track, makes for a very smooth and quite quiet ride.  And the only
moving part in the motor is the train itself, which should help with
maintenance - but it also means that track maintenance is more critical.
The motor can be used for braking, either regeneratively or by reversing;
this is supplemented by disk brakes and in an emergency by track brakes.

The power supply is 600 volts DC, same as the TTC's subways, streetcars, and
trolleybuses.  But it is delivered by *third and fourth rails* - no return
current through the track.  The live rails appear to be aluminum and they
use the side-contact system...one is set a couple of inches above the other
on the same side of the track.  Above them is a protective cover which appears
to be aluminum also.  (The TTC subway uses a conventional top-contact third
rail with return current through the track, and a wooden protective cover
over it.  Using an insulator for the cover seems more sensible to me.)

So we have tracks consisting of, from top left to bottom right, a protective
cover, two power rails, one running rail, one reaction rail, and the other
running rail.  (Running rails are set at standard gauge).  But even that is
not all...

About four inches to each side of the reaction rail we see a black cable
maybe a centimeter in diameter.  These form a series of loops which are used
for communication between the train and the computer controlling it.  I was
informed that the driver has to do nothing at all; I asked, "Not even push a
go-button at stations?", and the reply was, "I don't think he has to."
(Other automated systems such as London's Victoria line and BART have retained
this requirement, I understand.)  Manual control is also possible, of course.
As on some other computerized lines, there are no visible signals, and the
trains do not accelerate directly from zero to full speed, but go by stages,
which I find slightly annoying.

The other rare feature of the system is that the *axles* of the cars are
individually steerable, which enables them to take tight curves smoothly.
Accordingly, the route includes at least one tight curve.

The cars are about the size of buses, with two sets of sliding doors on each
side.  They seat 30 and are supposed to have standing room for 80 at a crush.
Each car has a cab at one end and they will run in coupled pairs, which in
turn can form trains of up to 6 cars in total, giving about the equivalent of
half a subway in crush carrying capacity.  There is equipment under the seats,
so the seating plan is fixed.  Passenger emergency alarms are fitted,
much as on the TTC subway cars.  The car bodies are aluminum and fiberglass.

I thought they ran very nicely in the preview (which continues each Saturday
and Sunday until August 14, 10 am - 4 pm).  I do not care to predict how
well they will stand up in regular service, though.

Mark Brader

From: frank@avsdS.UUCP
Subject: Steam.Calif
Date: Mon, 30-Jul-84 10:20:25 EDT

  This past weekend I went up to Sacramento Calif. to the train museum.
  To my surprise they were running a steam locomotive. It was a 0-6-0
  number 4466. It seems that they will be running this throughout the
  summer on weekends. The ride is a pleasent 40 minutes along the
  Sacramento River. The cost is just $3.00 for adults and $2.00 for
  children 17 and under. I was suprised at how many rode the train.
  There were a total of four cars and they were pretty much full
  all day long. They start at 12:00 noon and end at 4:00 pm. It runs
  every hour on the hour. One enteresting thing is that this is a SP
  engine but it burns coal. If anyone can give me information on this
  particular locomotive I would be grateful. The word that I got about
  the operation is that they would like the museum to be more than just
  a static display of engines and rolling stock and to be a living
  operating display. The future plans include longer trips (17 miles) and
  trips to a steam ferry for people to spend a whole day on train and
  ferry.
  If your in the area another good trip would be on the Sierra RR which
  is in Jamestown Calif ( about a hour and a half from Sac). This ride
  is longer and through some very pretty country. The engine is usually
  SRR #28 but the last time I rode it, we were pulled by #28 in one
  direction and a Shay ( I believe #8 ) in the other. They have wine and
  cheeze trips during the fall and spring and these are very nice.

From: chaltas@uiucdcsb.UUCP
Subject: Re: American Coal Enterprises
Date: 14 Oct 84 13:56:00 GMT

> Also, any GG1 fanatics out there?

Pant - pant (ograph) -- You bet.  They have always been rather scarce in
the boondocks of Illinois though.  I finally aquired an N scale model of
one of these giants last summer -- even though I model neither Pennsy,
nor Conrail, nor NJ transit, nor (ugh) Penn Central, nor Amtrak (northeast
corridor).  In fact, I haven't the faintest idea how to justify running
a GG1 on a railroad set in the White Mountains, and I don't care.  I remember
seeing them in New Haven as a teenager (me, not the GG1's) and being thrilled.
I was amazed that something so huge and powerful could be all but silent.  I
still am.  (I know that they aren't really silent, but to someone who grew
up with B&M geeps they sure seemed that way).  Anyway, I'll miss them.

		George Chaltas  chaltas!uiucdcs

From: chaltas@uiucdcsb.UUCP
Subject: Re: info on tracks
Date: 14 Oct 84 14:04:00 GMT

Shinohara track generally is excellent in both appearance and mechanics.
It is also rather expensive.  The switches have uninsulated metal frogs,
which means more work for you in installation, but better operation of
your locos.  If you just install them like you do with plastic - frog
switches you will have short circuits all over the place, but with
the proper use of insulated rail joiners you'll have something really
nice.  See one of the many how-to-do-it books on tracklaying for details.

Get thee to a hobby shop and look over their track selection -- I know
of one in your area -- Erich Fuch's, about a block from Goverment Center
(on Tremont St. ?).

	George Chaltas   chaltas!uiucdcs

From: res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt)
Subject: Re: American Coal Enterprises - (nf)
Date: 22 Oct 84 04:33:07 GMT

| They [GG-1's] have always been rather scarce in the boondocks of
| Illinois though.

NOT ANY MORE !!!

The Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois ('way west of Chicago)
has acquired a GG-1.  Anyone in the Midwest who is a train enthusiast
or a trolley enthusiast and who has not visited Union has missed a fine
museum with many restored and operating pieces of equipment (from a
shay to a Zephyr).  It is especially fun to visit on Members' Day when
anything that can operate does.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!ihuxn!res

From: wjm@whuxl.UUCP (MITCHELL)
Subject: RR Museums
Date: 26 Oct 84 18:14:31 GMT

The museum in Branford, CT is the Shoreline Trolley Museum (formerly the
Branford Electric RR Association).  They have a large collection of ex-BMT
equipment from NYC as well as much New Haven trolley equipment.  It is about
75 miles north-east of NYC, not too far from I-95 (and there are signs giving
directions from the Interstate).  You can also take Metro North or Amtrak trains
to New Haven and then take a local bus to the museum (I think its the F-2 line).

For those of you in Southern California, you haven't been neglected since you
can visit the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris (off of I-15E about 90
miles from LA and 90 miles from San Diego).  Their collection specializes in
LA area trolley equipment, and they also have cars from San Francisco, San
Diego, and New Orleans.  They also have operating diesel main line railroad
equipment.

Both of these museums are Operating museums, and you can ride the equipment on
weekends and on holidays.
Interurbans published a book "Trolley to the Past" which I bought from the
OERM bookshop (admitted vested interest - I'm a member of OERM) that describes
all the operating trolley museums in the US and Canada.

For you GG-1 fans in the Midwest, Union RR Museum has a GG-1.  I'd like to know
if it is operational, and if so how did they do it - string up 11KV catenary
and put in a frequency changer (GG-1's were designed to run on 25Hz, and 60Hz
upsets their digestion :-)), or modify the GG-1 to run on 600 vdc??
Also, on the subject of GG-1's, I wish NJTransit would keep several fixed up for
fan trips.
Regards,
Bill Mitchell

From: chaltas@uiucdcsb.UUCP
Subject: Re: RR Museums
Date: 29 Oct 84 01:25:00 GMT

I'm told the GG-1 at Union is NOT operational, as it has had its tranformer(s?)
removed.  The tranformers in GG-1s contain PCBs, currently on everyones
Least Favorite Chemical of the Year list. (Last year's was dioxin), and for
this reason GG-1's are not popular in working condition.
	(can you say paranoia?  I knew you could)

	George Chaltas
	uiucdcs!chaltas

From: nucomp@ihuxb.UUCP (cjw)
Subject: INFO ON TRACKS
Date: 29 Oct 84 23:55:06 GMT

Is this line still necessary?

***Repeat of original article follows***

  I'm fairly new at model railroading, I have been in the process in constructing a layout and need infomation on tracks. I don't have the time to hand lay
tracks so I'm looking for per assemble track that looks real and easy to work
with. I have used the ATLAS tackage but it looks very unrealistic and does't
go together very good. I read a little on PECO trackage, it seems that this
trackage looks realistic and that switches can be mounted under the tracks
without very little problems but I have not used this type. Could any one
give some kindly advise about trackage for this starter outer PLEASE. By
the way I my layout is in HO scale.

*** My reply follows. ***

	Since you said that the Atlas track doesn't go togeather very good
I assume you were using sectional track. The flex track is better,
howevever you have to aquire a track gauge to make curves and you have
to cut into the tie plates to allow the rail joiners to slide on. Also
there are problems making smooth curves unless you keep the joints
staggered. This can be done because one of the rails slides through the
spike heads and you just slide the rail from another piece of track in
to the end of the track being sure that the rail goes under neath the
molded on spike heads. I always recommend soldering the rail joiners onto
the ends of the rails. This is the only way to assure trouble free
operation. I also always use nickel silver track. If the brass track is
used be ready to clean it very often. The plastic tie track looks better
if you spray paint the entire track flat black. To remove paint from the
top of the rails simply take a rag, get some thinner on it and wipe the
top of the rail with it. I haven't had any experience with the Peco track
so I won't say anything about it. The most realistic track is made by
Tru-scale. It can be bought all ready to slide togeather with the use of
rail joiners. It is basicly sectional track. It is made by taking milled
roadbed with ties and spiking a pair of rails to it. It is simillar to
home laid track but it comes in sections and some one else already did
the work for you. They have curves in radiuses of 18" to 36", straight
track in 2' or 3' lengths, and #4, #6, #8 and Y type turnouts. The major
drawback to this type of track is the price. It is quite expensive. It
isn't sold in very many hobby shops. It usually has to ordered by mail.
	If any one is looking for anything in model railroading, I
suggest "The World of HO Scale". It is Walthers model railroad catalog
and it is over 700 pages of model railroad supplies. It is expensive
at a list price of $11.95, but if it helps you find what your looking
for more easily it is usually worth it. Most hobby shops can order
anything from the catalog and have it for you in a couple days. They
also publish N scale, O scale and decal catalogs. Before any says,
"What about JMC/Con-Cor", I will say their last HO scale catalog was
published several years ago and is very much out of date. Also Walthers
carries more manufacturers.

The usual disclaimer follows:
	I have no connection with any of the above firms and the opinions
expressed in the above article are mine and only mine.

				Clayton James Wootton
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville Illinois

From: friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP
Date: 29 Oct 84 18:39:00 GMT

Indeed, the GG-1 at Illinois Railway Museum, Union, Illinois, is not
operational, and is not planned to be.  Right now, it's on display in
Amtrak black livery; it is planned to restore it to PRR colors.  But
no one wants to fuss with 25 hertz or 11Kv problems, so there has been
no intention of operating it.

Union does have other "new" cars that are operational.  Our Little Joe
from South Shore has a new paint job, and can be operated over part of
the system.  And there are two of the old maroon and orange South Shore
passenger coaches that were operated about a month ago, on Members'
Weekend.  It was clumsy, since most of the overhead is not pantograph
compatible; they had to tow them by an electric loco out to the new
mainline extension, which has catenary overhead, and then switch the
power system over, reversing the procedure on return.  But those 1500 vdc
cars ran fine on the Museum's 600 vdc system, just slower (speed limit's
45 mph, anyway).

From: kcm@cybvax0.UUCP (Keith C. MacKinnon)
Subject: Re: Bay Colony RR
Date: 7 Nov 84 21:11:17 GMT

> Anybody know anything about the Bay Colony railroad?
> Operates to the south-east of Boston (at least -- maybe elsewhere).
> Rumour has it that it is operated by the same management
> as the Cape Cod and Hyannis RR.  Can anyone confirm, controvert?
> -- Kenn	(...decvax!)goutal

 As I recall about a year ago the Boston Globe ran an article on page 2
about the Bay Colony railroad. I can't remember if it was run by the
Cape Cod and Hyannis RR. I think it was a couple of business men that
bought out some unused conrail trackage, I'm not to sure. It might be
now runed by them now I haven't heard anything about the railroad since
then. I think I might have the article at home, I will check, but if
not the libary should carry a copy of the that paper. I think it was
about a year or more ago, sometime in the spring for fall. I will check
at home for that piece, if you need anymore info on the line I might
be able to find out for you.

..!mit-eddie!cybvax0!kcm
Keith C MacKinnon
CYBERMATION INC.
Cambridge MA.

From: stevel@haddock.UUCP
Subject: Re: Boston<-->Ottawa
Date: 9 Nov 84 04:51:01 GMT

The problem with the Montrealer, Washington-NY-Montreal, is that
it goes through the beautiful green mountains at about 4:00AM.
If you get up at sunrise you will catch a little of them.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {amd|ihnp4!cbosgd}!ima!stevel

From: benk@inmet.UUCP
Date: 9 Nov 84 06:27:59 GMT

	Re: rail service from Boston to Ottawa.

	As I see it, you've got a few options:

	1.) the Amtrak Boston to Chicago train to Worcester, and then
	    wait to make connections with the Washington-NY-Montreal
	    train to Montreal, and then take VIA-Rail-Canada to Ottawa.
	    (The ride through the Green Moutatins of Vermont is supposed
	    to be lovely.)

	2.) take Amtrak from Boston to NY, then take the Washington-NY-
	    Montreal train to Montreal, and then VIA-Rail-Canada to
	    Ottawa.  (The ride through the Green Moutatins of Vermont is
            supposed to be lovely.)

	3.) take Amtrak from Boston to New York, and then take the
	    Amtrak New York State service that connects with VIA-Rail
	    Canada to Toronto, and then take VIA-Rail-Canada to Ottawa.
	    (I understand that this is a particularly beautiful route;
	    the ride up the eastern shore of the Hudson River being
	    especially delightful.)

	4.) take the Amtrak Boston to Chicago train to Buffalo, or
	    some place thereabouts where you can make connections
	    with VIA-Rail-Canada.

	-- Ben Krepp
	(inmet!benk)