[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Multiple hard disk controllers possible???

flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) (07/08/90)

I am looking for a new hard disk for my Model 80-041.
It's got a ST-506 (or something like this) controller but
I would like to add a hard disk with SCSI or ESDI interface.

Is this possible without junking my 40 Meg ST-506 disk?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you in advance!	With best greetings from Bavaria	-- Florian

haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) (07/10/90)

In article <1437@doitcr.doit.sub.org>, flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) writes:
> I am looking for a new hard disk for my Model 80-041.
> It's got a ST-506 (or something like this) controller but
> I would like to add a hard disk with SCSI or ESDI interface.
>
> Is this possible without junking my 40 Meg ST-506 disk?

As far as the hardware is concerned, yes you can have multiple controllers in
the same machine.  In my case, I have used both ST-506 and ESDI controllers
in a PS2 compatible (Now sold in Europe by Bull as the BM500).  I was using
it with a Unix operating system sold by Interactive Systems and they do
support multiple controllers as part of their configuration utilities.

John M. Haugen               Domain:  haugen@BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America       UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
900 Long Lake Road           ATT:  612-633-5660