[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] PS/2 Harddisks

edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) (07/11/90)

Hi all,
	  I am trying to track down the pinouts on a PS/2 harddisk
(the 30 somthing pin job that combines data/control and power) I remember
an article in PC Tech Journal about the PS/2's a while back but didn't notice
anything on these pinouts... (also I assume it is still an ST506 type
controller setup just with an IBM(tm) type connector, correct me if I
am wrong)....

All help appreciated.

Also while I am here, anybody got any good references on the PS/2's from
a hardware point of view, A collegue has to keep a labs worth
running and needs all the help he can get...

Thanks
Andrew.

 ____________
/\  _________\   Andrew Moore   edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu (...edu.au)
\ \ \______  /  edp148l%monu6.cc.monash.edu.au@uunet.UU.NET
 \ \ \  / / /  {hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!munnari!monu6.cc.monash.edu.au!edp148l
  \ \ \/ / /  +613-573-2297 (human) +613-573-2745 (fax)
   \ \/ / /  Faculty of Computing and Information Technology,
    \  / /  Monash University, Caulfield Campus, PO Box 197,
     \/_/  Caulfield East, Melbourne, Victoria, 3145, Australia.

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul11.111609.259@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) writes:
>Hi all,
>	  I am trying to track down the pinouts on a PS/2 harddisk
>(the 30 somthing pin job that combines data/control and power) I remember
>an article in PC Tech Journal about the PS/2's a while back but didn't notice
>anything on these pinouts... (also I assume it is still an ST506 type
>controller setup just with an IBM(tm) type connector, correct me if I
>am wrong)....

You have to specify, which PS/2 you are asking for. There are differences
between the models and submodels. For example, the (old) model 80-041
had a ST506-controller, the submodels -071, -111 and -311 had ESDI-controllers.

>Also while I am here, anybody got any good references on the PS/2's from
>a hardware point of view, A collegue has to keep a labs worth
>running and needs all the help he can get...

I have the technical reference for my PS/2. (original IBM). It's expensive,
but it's ok.

>Thanks
>Andrew.

You're welcome.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of computer science.
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) (07/16/90)

In article <6095@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) writes:
>In article <1990Jul11.111609.259@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) writes:
>>Hi all,
Question and a reply about IBM harddisks deleted....
(...)

My question has been answered...

I was curious to know the standard used in the PS/2 70's. In our units
it is an ESDA standard while there are occurances of ST-506 type units
also,  in some of the other PS/2 models. I acknoledge these two standards
are not compatiable without some jiggery pokery so I wont worry about
what I had in mind (cheap ST506's in PS/2)

Thanks all
Andrew.