[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Questions about Model 80

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/20/90)

Does the Micro Channel on the Model 80 have 32-bit address and data?
Does the DMA controller on a Model 80 system board support 32-bit
data transfers?
Does the DMA controller support 32-bit addressing, or just 24-bit?
Do I have to get an account on Prodigy to get my PS/2 questions
answered :-)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

nathan@yatton.inmos.co.uk (Nathan Sidwell) (07/23/90)

In article <31898@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Does the Micro Channel on the Model 80 have 32-bit address and data?

Yes, though only on 3 MCA adaptor cards. These 32 bit slots also have
a 'matched memory' protocol which allows the 386 to access _memory_ faster
They do not have to decode all 32 address lines, as there is a 24-address
valid flag, which can be used.

>Does the DMA controller on a Model 80 system board support 32-bit
>data transfers?

No, It only supports 8 and 16 bit transfers

>Does the DMA controller support 32-bit addressing, or just 24-bit?

Only 24 bit addressing.

Another thing about DMA on MCA, is that it is executed by a read and then
a write cycle, thus being half as fast as the actual bus bandwidth. To
get the fastest data transfer to/from a card, that card must be a bus master.

--------------- So what's your mission statement? ----------------
Nathan Sidwell, INMOS Ltd,            JANET:    nathan@uk.co.inmos
Aztec West, Bristol, UK               UUCP:     ukc!inmos!nathan
My indicision is final (I think)      INTERNET: nathan@inmos.com