[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] 5.25' floppy in ps2

mcknight@tusun2.knet.utulsa.edu ( Law) (07/21/90)

John,

Generally speaking, you can't add and internal 5.25 drive to a PS/2.  You can
add an external drive (IBM makes a 360K DSDD, 3rd parties make that and a 1.2M
DSHD).  Installing the drive adapter is as easy as following the instructions
that come with the drive/adapter (instructions, gee, what a concept!).  After
you install the adapter and connect the drive, run the reference diskette that
came with the system, and use the configure option so the system will recognize
the drive, then reboot.  I've installed several external 5.25" drives here and
have had NO problems.  Hope this helps.

Chuck

CONDON@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Christopher M. Condon) (07/23/90)

I've found that the Sysgen Bridgefile external 5.25" floppy drives have
worked wonderfully for us.  They are less expensive and (MUCH smaller)
than the IBM unit 360K unit, and you also get 1,2mb capacity.  Most
important, the adapter card doesn't take up one of those precious slots
(depending on your PS/2, it fits where the B: drive would go).  Strangely
enough, it is actually more compatible than the IBM unit; the 55SX has
problems with the adapter cards for the IBM floppy drive.  The Bridgefile
also comes with the neat feature of being able to daisy-chin a Bridgetape
tape backup unit off it (save another slot!).  Great stuff.

kishan_s@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sandeep Kishan) (07/24/90)

In article <90203.160347CONDON@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu> CONDON@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Christopher M. Condon) writes:
>I've found that the Sysgen Bridgefile external 5.25" floppy drives have
>worked wonderfully for us.  They are less expensive and (MUCH smaller)
>than the IBM unit 360K unit, and you also get 1,2mb capacity.  Most
>important, the adapter card doesn't take up one of those precious slots
>(depending on your PS/2, it fits where the B: drive would go).  Strangely
>enough, it is actually more compatible than the IBM unit; the 55SX has
>problems with the adapter cards for the IBM floppy drive.  The Bridgefile
>also comes with the neat feature of being able to daisy-chin a Bridgetape
>tape backup unit off it (save another slot!).  Great stuff.

	I, too, use a Sysgen Bridgefile 5.25" floppy drive and have found it
most reliable.  On a PS/2 model 50, the drive does not plug into one of the
serial com ports directly; however, one must replace the external (IBM-
supplied) port covers and replace it with a cover which connects the disk
controller (internal) and the cable to the drive.  Although you don't lose a
serial port as such, you lose one of the external interface slots (e.g. you
still have the port, but you cannot have it connect to anything external to
the machine via the back of the computer.)  Thus, the only limitation of the
device is the partial reduction of the serial port versatility.

	BTW:  I don't know what others' experiences have been, but I have found
that the Sysgen drive is somewhat unreliable; mine broke down entirely within
the one-year warranty period:  it would reformat any disk that it attempted to
read.  This might be a fluke, but the overall construction of the drive does
not look to be the best in the world.)

	Best wishes,
	Sandeep

Sandeep Kishan	      kishan@cs.jhu.edu
		      kishan_s@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu,  @jhunix.BITNET, @jhunix.UUCP
                         !aplcen!jhunix!kishan_s
Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218
408 Fox Den Lane, Millersville, MD  21108
!aplcen!jhunix!kishan_s