[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Effect of mechanical stress on MCA board

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (07/23/90)

Does anyone know what the effect of mechanical stress on an MCA board
would be?

Symptons: on two PS/2's (a 70/061, and the newer 55SX), failures
occurred during the POST, generating system board type failure (codes
starting with '1').
Following a check that boards etc were seated correctly, it was noticed
that the machines would boot up ok with lids off. The model 70 would
boot up with the lid on, but not when the VDU was placed on top of it.
On examination, it appears that the roof fouls (ie contacts) the
plastic handle on the top of bus expansion card for the disk drives.

The model 55SX exhibited similar symptons. The bus expansion card is
supported by a piece of black plastic which clips into holes on the
power supply. The new ribbon cable assembly passes between this and he
roof. On the 55SX examined, the roof fouled the cable assembly, and
hence the planar board, via the expansion card. When the black plastic
support was removed, the machine would boot up ok.

The assumption at the moment is that the POST failures are caused by
stressing the board.

does anyone have any comments to offer?

rbn@umd5.umd.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/24/90)

More likely it is one of two problems that I've seen frequently
with the MCA cards.  The most common is the prepensity for the
cards to lever or see-saw out of the slot due to the complete
lack of any kind of mechanical design to hold the cards in the
right position.  The other is that some misdesigned cards will
extert stress and sometimes even break the card edge connector
by sliding the card out the end.

-Ron

nathan@yatton.inmos.co.uk (Nathan Sidwell) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.142511.15070@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) writes:
>Does anyone know what the effect of mechanical stress on an MCA board
>would be?
> [describes problems with PS/2 70 & 55X]

I had a similar problem with a PS/2 80. When developing a card, it would work
fine with the lid off, but sometimes not when I put the lid on. The problem
was not just with my card, but with the memory expansion too. It appears that
the foam packing on the lid, which is supposed to hold the cards in tightly
was overzealous, and pushed down on the card handle, thus levering the
other end of the card out. The solution was to cut away the offending bit of
foam. It has worked fine for the 2 years since then.

                        Foam pressed here
                            +--+
      |                       ++

--------------- So what's your mission statement? ----------------
Nathan Sidwell, INMOS Ltd,            JANET:    nathan@uk.co.inmos
Aztec West, Bristol, UK               UUCP:     ukc!inmos!nathan
My indicision is final (I think)      INTERNET: nathan@inmos.com