[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Adding An Extra HD To A Model 80-115...

mowgli@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor) (07/17/90)

We're considering adding a 330 or 660 Megabyte hard drive to our IBM PS/2
Model 80-115. It's got an ESDI drive right now, & it appears the controller
will handle 2 drives. But, I'm not sure. Has anyone added a second hard
drive to their machine? If so, please let me know what you added & how it
went. Can I just buy any old ESDI drive & plug & go?

					Thanks, <Mowgli>
-=-
Address: mowgli@puffer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor in real life)
     Or: mowgli@cis.ohio-state.edu, mowgli@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The 2 precepts of Semi-Divinity:	(1) Mind Thine Own Business.
					(2) Don't Worry About It.

steve@qe2.paloalto.ibm.com (07/18/90)

In article <82186@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Mowgli Assor <mowgli@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>We're considering adding a 330 or 660 Megabyte hard drive to our IBM PS/2
>Model 80-115. It's got an ESDI drive right now, & it appears the controller
>will handle 2 drives. But, I'm not sure. Has anyone added a second hard
>drive to their machine? If so, please let me know what you added & how it
>went. Can I just buy any old ESDI drive & plug & go?

	I have 2 314Meg drives in my Model 80, and it works just fine.  I'm
not aware of anything special that is required of the drive, so I suspect that
you could grab any ESDI drive, plug, and go.  I know for certain that Maxtor
and IBM ESDI drives work fine under AIX.  If you're planning to use DOS or
OS/2, you should check the manuals for these products for any mention of using
large disks.

	Note that AIX PS/2 makes no mention of supporting disks larger than
314 Meg, although I know of at least one system that has 2 657Meg SCSI disks
attached.  Again, your mileage may vary.  Caveat hactor..... :-)

>     Or: mowgli@cis.ohio-state.edu, mowgli@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: ibmsupt!steve@uunet.uu.net
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  uunet!ibmsupt!steve
(415) 855-3510			VNET:     dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......

boegehol@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (JN.V9obQ) (07/20/90)

In article <82186@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mowgli@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor) writes:

|   We're considering adding a 330 or 660 Megabyte hard drive to our IBM PS/2
|   Model 80-115. It's got an ESDI drive right now, & it appears the controller
|   will handle 2 drives. But, I'm not sure. Has anyone added a second hard
|   drive to their machine? If so, please let me know what you added & how it
|   went. Can I just buy any old ESDI drive & plug & go?

Half a year ago, I added a NEC (oops, forgot the number) ESDI hard
disk (147MB formatted) to my PS/2 Model 60-071.

It was not quite as easy as plug & go. The problem was the low level
formatting of the hard disk. The IBM ESDI Controller expects a
"Primary Defect Map" on the second last cylinder of the hard disk.
This is of course supplied with all IBM Disks, but not with my brand
new NEC disk. The trick is to coerce the controller to ignore the
primary defect map and just go ahead and format the disk. The
Controller command for formatting has a special bit for that purpose,
and I patched the program LLFORMAT.COM on the reference diskette
accordingly. I was then able to format the disk with no problem, and
I'm now using it with DOS and OS/2 without any special drivers or
patches.

I think the same procedure should also work for the Model 80 and also
for other brands of ESDI hard disks. One problem might be the data
transmission speed of the hard disk: The IBM controller is capable of
handling up to 10 MBit/s. While experimenting with my NEC harddisk I
borrowed a 330MB Disk from my friend's COMPAQ. That disk operates at
15 MBit/s and did not work with my PS/2.

I have also heard of commercial software being available to format
non-IBM hard disks, but I don't remember the name now. Furthermore,
there are ESDI hard disks offered specifically for PS/2 machines.
Those should work too, of course.

When you actually need the patch for LLFORMAT.COM, please ask again
since I don't have it handy right now.

Hope that helps

Harald Boegeholz

s33966r@kaira.hut.fi (Juha Hulkkonen) (07/22/90)

For some reason I could mail this to Mr. Harald  Boegeholz so I posted
it here:

Hi!

I'm having a same kind of problem as Mowgl was claiming about.. I'm
also having a PS/2-80 with one 314 MB esdi disk installed and I'd like
to get another 300 MB disk (IBM, but not originally formatted for
PS/2) running. So, if you could provide thepatched llformat or a
pointer to any other suitable low-level formating program I'd be more
than happy  ;-)

Thanx and regards, Juha.

+  Juha Hulkkonen                  s33966r@kaira.hut.fi            +
+                                  hogan  @otax.tky.hut.fi         +
+  tel.                            +358-0-794899                   +

muro@aragon.UUCP (Muriel Rosenberg) (07/27/90)

s33966r@kaira.hut.fi (Juha Hulkkonen) writes:

>I'm having a same kind of problem as Mowgl was claiming about.. I'm
>also having a PS/2-80 with one 314 MB esdi disk installed and I'd like
>to get another 300 MB disk (IBM, but not originally formatted for
>PS/2) running. So, if you could provide thepatched llformat or a
>pointer to any other suitable low-level formating program I'd be more
>than happy  ;-)
* Boot with the IBM PS/2 Reference Disk
* Press ^A in the main menu
  (undocumented feature)