[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Adding non-IBM ESDI drive to Mod 80-071

jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey) (08/02/90)

Hello all,

   I've been reading with some interest the articles concerning adding
a 2nd harddisk and the formating differences.

   I have a Model 80-071. If I understand what I've read correctly,
I should be able to pop any ESDI hard drive in and low-level format
it once I've patched the llformat program on the reference disk.

   If this is correct, it's a tremendous help, especially considering
the price difference between IBM & non-IBM ESDI drives.

   A question: Does the bios format routine actually WRITE the bad
track info onto the disk, or is the info not written and ignored
in future references to it?

                                         Thanks Much!
                                                   John

jwd@unx.sas.com       (w) rti.rti.org!sas!jwd       (919) 677-8000 x6915
jwd@baggins.ral.nc.us (h) mcnc.mcnc.org!baggins!jwd (919) 481-1057 (preferred)

davis@mcnc.org (Mark C. Davis) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug02.161028.18674@unx.sas.com> jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey) writes:
>   I have a Model 80-071. If I understand what I've read correctly,
>I should be able to pop any ESDI hard drive in and low-level format
>it once I've patched the llformat program on the reference disk.

The ESDI controller is a 10 Mbit/sec controller.  Many disks I see
advertised now are 15 Mbit/sec disk, which will not work at all on
this controller.

Be ready to make your own cables.  Not hard, but could be exciting if
you have never done it before.

So, be sure you get a 10 Mbit/sec disk.  I use a Micropolis 1355.  I
have heard of several other manufacture/model that also work.

(I used Disk Manager for the PS to format.  One of these days, I will
reformat with the patched LLFORMAT.  One of these days, but "If it
ain't broke, ...")

Hope this helps - Mark (davis@mcnc.org)