[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Replace 360K with 1.2M ?

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (08/03/90)

Our department has a PS2/80-041 with an IBM external 5 1/4" 360K
drive.  Has anyone tried replacing the diskette drive with a 1.2M drive?
Given that we drill out the two IBM-special screws and can open the
cabinet, I wonder if I'll have to mess with driver.sys or patch the DPB
or whatever.  Meanwhile, our IBM 3090 repair person will try to order
the screwdriver needed to manipulate a TORX screw with a center post!

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/04/90)

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) writes:

>Our department has a PS2/80-041 with an IBM external 5 1/4" 360K
>drive.  Has anyone tried replacing the diskette drive with a 1.2M drive?
>Given that we drill out the two IBM-special screws and can open the
>cabinet, I wonder if I'll have to mess with driver.sys or patch the DPB
>or whatever.

There does not seem to be any built-in support for 1.2MB drives on
PS/2's, e.g., there is no way to tell a PS/2 that it has a 1.2MB/5.25"
drive via the IBM supplied reference disk.  I assume that the IBM
1.2MB drive kit includes a driver to supply the support, but I've
never encountered one of these costly behemoths.

>Meanwhile, our IBM 3090 repair person will try to order
>the screwdriver needed to manipulate a TORX screw with a center post!

I just use a small long-nosed pliers to snap the post off.  However,
there really is a tool available for the purpose.  Jensen Tools and
Specialized Products both have the requsite tools, which I believe are
marketed by the Xcelite division of Cooper Tools.  Send me mail if you
can't locate their address; I'd list them now but I'm not at my
office.

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (08/07/90)

In article <12641@rouge.usl.edu> jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) writes:

>Our department has a PS2/80-041 with an IBM external 5 1/4" 360K
>drive.  Has anyone tried replacing the diskette drive with a 1.2M drive?
>Given that we drill out the two IBM-special screws and can open the
>cabinet, I wonder if I'll have to mess with driver.sys or patch the DPB
>or whatever.  Meanwhile, our IBM 3090 repair person will try to order
>the screwdriver needed to manipulate a TORX screw with a center post!

We have IBM 4869 external 5.25" 360K/1.2M drives in PS/2 70's and
55SX's. Some of our users have a 360K/1.2M drive made by Sysgen.

The IBM drives require a card, and _another_ mains lead (we feel that
three mains lead for one desktop computer is a bit much).

Whereas the Sysgen has an adaptor widget which plugs into the bus
expansion card used by the disk drives, however it still uses the
external expansion slot plate, ( but draws its power from the bus).

There are spatial snags with adaptor widget and the disk drive cables
in some models, (cant remember which), particularly when fitting two
3.5" drives plus an external 5.25".