[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] replacing

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric DeVolder) (08/23/90)

Hello,

 I am wondering if it is possible to switch my current (M)CGA card with a
(super)VGA card and still retain my current IBM 8513(4?) color monitor.
Would this require any special kind of work, or just buying a board and
plugging it in will make this work?

Eric DeVolder
Kansas State University

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (08/25/90)

Eric DeVolder) writes:

> I am wondering if it is possible to switch my current (M)CGA card with a
>(super)VGA card and still retain my current IBM 8513(4?) color monitor.
>Would this require any special kind of work, or just buying a board and
>plugging it in will make this work?

It would be helpful to everybody, including yourself, to say what
machine, and which VGA card, you are talking about.

You probably have a PS/2 model 30 of some sort, in which case the MCGA
adaptor is built in. Additional functionality can probably be added
via an expansion card. The IBM 8513 etc are analogue monitors, not
digital so you probably wouldnt have to replacec that (cos VGA is an
anallogue adaptor).