[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Replacing the hard disk on a PS/2 Model 70

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (08/27/90)

I need to replace the 115 MB drive that came with the Model 70 A21
with something bigger, preferably > 300 MB.  Several supply sources
have said that this is not possible.

If so, can anyone confirm?  If not, can anyone suggest a drive model
that'll work?

Jack Robertson
aj4640@dean1.acd.usma.edu

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/28/90)

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) writes:

>I need to replace the 115 MB drive that came with the Model 70 A21
>with something bigger, preferably > 300 MB.  Several supply sources
>have said that this is not possible.

>If so, can anyone confirm?  If not, can anyone suggest a drive model
>that'll work?

I have the same machine, and the same problem. IBM wouldn't even sell
a second 115 MB drive, because there is no space for it. It is available
as a replacement part, only. It is difficult for me to order a replacement
part, if the original part isn't broken...

I gave up and I am going to switch to another machine, from Siemens.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (08/28/90)

In article <245@dean1.usma.edu> aj4640@dean1.acd.usma.edu writes:
>I need to replace the 115 MB drive that came with the Model 70 A21
>with something bigger, preferably > 300 MB.  Several supply sources
>have said that this is not possible.
>
>If so, can anyone confirm?  If not, can anyone suggest a drive model
>that'll work?
>
>Jack Robertson
>aj4640@dean1.acd.usma.edu

I have also just installed AIX 1.2 on my 70 and have run into the same problem.
I have a list of 48 different drive options for the PS/2 line that I captured
off the IBM Regional Support Center BBS here in Atlanta. If you wish I can
send it to you. There are quite a few options, but the problem is that
most take up a slot (precious in a model 70!).  I would recommend a SCSI
adapter that is AIX compatible - but with the ethernet card, the RAM expansion,
and extra RS232 ports, where are you going to put it (*AND* the i860 accelerator
that IBM promisses will be AIX compatible "in the very near future.")?

Another option is to cluster your machine with another AIX PS/2. This may
actually be the cheaper alternative. You'll only need the OS on one of the
machines. :=)

A couple of notes: If you choose the default minidisk sizes on installing
AIX, you're not using your entire hard disk. The default for / is about
42000 blocks, where it takes 86000 to use the entire disk.  Also, It seems
we at Tech have located a bug in Ver. 1.2. The machine will not recognize
other machines outside our ethernet domain, even though it uses the nameserver
and is 'set up properly' according to the manuals. (Ver. 1.1 worked fine.)

(Did you get your memory problem solved?)

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2