[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] 115K baud on PS/2's

gwunix00@seas.gwu.edu (Timur Tabi) (09/15/90)

Just for your information, I managed to transfer files from a PS/2 70
to a Zenith 386/20 through the serial port at 115K baud.  I remember
hearing that PS/2 can only do 57.6K baud.  Has anyone else managed to
get 115K baud?

det@acsu.buffalo.edu (donald e tranquillo) (09/17/90)

In article <2129@sparko.gwu.edu> gwunix00@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>Just for your information, I managed to transfer files from a PS/2 70
>to a Zenith 386/20 through the serial port at 115K baud.  I remember
>hearing that PS/2 can only do 57.6K baud.  Has anyone else managed to
>get 115K baud?

There is a program named FastLynx that does file transfers through either
of the ports at high speed. The program has a very good front end for
selecting files and directories to be copied. Unfortunately, I cannot
remember the name of the company who makes it, nor the exact speed of the
transfers. I used it only for PS/2 -> PS/2, but I know it was also used for
PC -> PC, but I don't know about PS/2 -> PC, although I see no reason why
there should be a problem. If you do any kind of mass copying frequently, or
have to install a common platform on a bunch of systems, I'd recommend it.
The best part is that once you select what is to be copied, you can just
let it run unattended.
                                                     - Don Tranquillo

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (09/17/90)

In article <2129@sparko.gwu.edu> gwunix00@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>Just for your information, I managed to transfer files from a PS/2 70
>to a Zenith 386/20 through the serial port at 115K baud.  I remember
>hearing that PS/2 can only do 57.6K baud.  Has anyone else managed to
>get 115K baud?

Yes, but it was flaky. I was using kermit to copy the entire contents
of a 60Mb disk, and began by trying 115K baud. At this speed, kermit
would bomb out at some, arbitrary point, before it had finished.  We
ran it at 9600 baud, overnight, in the end.

(pc kermit 2.32 , between 2 PS/2 70's , under dos 4.01)

bank@lea.ncsu.edu (Dave The DM) (09/18/90)

   Get Brooklyn Bridge (5th Generation Systems) or LapLink (?).

   The old IBM PC-1 is capable of 115K bps transmissions on a
direct serial-port-to-serial-port link. I used to use my old PC-1
(affectionately named "Petula the PC") as a 5 1/4" floppy for my
PS/2 Mod 70 until I got ahold of an external drive. It was no
problrm with Brooklyn Bridge (except the link had to be established
to boot time, and could not be set up dynamically), and it gave me
access to Petula's 40 MB of HD space as well.

                                                   Dave the DM