[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Additional hard disk for PS/2 model 70.

lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (09/22/90)

I recently received a  copy SCO UNIX  that my boss  wants to  install it on my
PS/2; I guess to test if the MC (microchannel) version of SCO operating system
works with a PS/2. I already have a 120M drive in  my PS/2  model 70, and I am
using 100M for AIX and 20M for DOS. This means that I must get a separate disk
drive,  and  that  too, no less  than 100M (may be  more).  When I  called the
hardware department of this university, the  guys over there  did not see very
optimistic about the availabity of  such drives. I would  assume that it would
be possible to  add larged disk drive,  even though these  PC type machines do
not have  SCSI ports, may  be by adding a  driver  board, or something to that
effect.  Does anybody know if this is  possible, and  if so, how  much does it
cost?

/B.
--------------------
Binod Taterway				LUBKT@vax1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
User Consultant				LUBKT@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Lehigh University, Beth, PA.
(215) 758-3984.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/22/90)

In article <10299.26fa2e7d@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lubkt@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>I would  assume that it would
>be possible to  add larged disk drive,  even though these  PC type machines do
>not have  SCSI ports, may  be by adding a  driver  board, or something to that
>effect.  Does anybody know if this is  possible, and  if so, how  much does it
>cost?

IBM now sells a microchannel SCSI adaptor and several SCSI disks.
The 320 mb disk is quite speedy, so I've been told.

I don't know whether SCO supports that controller.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer