[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Can I use 360K drive in PS/2 70

saba@tellabs.com (Bruce Sabalaskey) (10/05/90)

I have some old 360 K double-sided double density 40 track floppy
drives. Does anyone know if and how I could use these with my PS/2
model 70? I know that the PC-AT/XT floppy controller cards do not work
in PS/2's. But I don't want to spend $400 bucks for an IBM controller
card and disk drive. I've seen clones for about $250, but I would
rather use my existing drives which are currently collecting dust.

Any Ideas?

Bruce Sabalaskey
...!tellab5!tellab1!saba

mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu (MICHAEL JAY LANHAM) (10/06/90)

In article <4059@tellab5.tellabs.com>, saba@tellabs.com (Bruce
Sabalaskey) writes:
> I have some old 360 K double-sided double density 40 track floppy
> drives. Does anyone know if and how I could use these with my PS/2
> model 70? I know that the PC-AT/XT floppy controller cards do not work
> in PS/2's. But I don't want to spend $400 bucks for an IBM controller
> card and disk drive. I've seen clones for about $250, but I would
> rather use my existing drives which are currently collecting dust.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Bruce Sabalaskey
> ...!tellab5!tellab1!saba

Unless you can find a third party vendor that makes/sells a controller
with Micro-channel (MCA) buses, I do not think you will be able to use
those drives.