[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Upgrading MicroChannel

lance@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel A Lentz) (10/09/90)

Speaking of upgrading model 80's...
	I have an 80-071 (OS/2) and a 387-16 in it.  Is there anything I
can do (besides add more memory to avoid disk swapping) to speed the
damn thing up?  16Mhz seemed a lot faster several years ago.  I know
IBM came out with a 486 upgrade for the 70 -- is anything like that in
store for the 80?  I think IBM must have *something* planned, but if
there is, word hasn't filtered back to me, yet.  Is there a third
party upgrade available?  I'd like to go somewhere between 25-40 Mhz.
Finally, if MicroChannel is so great, how come nobody has designed an
InBoard type accessory, yet?

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (10/10/90)

In article <6950@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> lance@vax1.udel.edu (Daniel A Lentz) writes:
>Speaking of upgrading model 80's...
>	I have an 80-071 (OS/2) and a 387-16 in it.  Is there anything I
>can do (besides add more memory to avoid disk swapping) to speed the
>damn thing up?  16Mhz seemed a lot faster several years ago.  I know

There are several boards to speed up the PS/2. Two that come to mind are:

1. The AOX MicroMaster 486 - a buss mastering 486 MCA plug-in.

2. IBM's i860 Wizard adapter. This only works under OS/2 - so far . . .

Both are REALLY expensive. I'm in the same boat, but I feel that we will
be seeing more MCA accelerators real soon.

Good luck . . .

Harry

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2