[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] i860 Wizard adapter?!?!?!???

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (10/10/90)

This was supposed to be a follow-up to Re: Upgrading MicroChannel, but my
news system wouldn't let me (something about including more text than adding
text).

Anyway, someone mentioned this i860 thing that only work under OS/2 so far.
Can anyone give me any details about it, like cost, for which PS/2's,
what it does, how much power it adds, etc etc?  Thanx!!!

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (10/11/90)

In article <2218@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:

> . . . . . . .  this i860 thing that only work under OS/2 so far.
>Can anyone give me any details about it, like cost, for which PS/2's,
>what it does, how much power it adds, etc etc?  Thanx!!!

Below is a description of the Wizard board. I don't remeber the MIPs
of the processor, but my memory seems to say around 40 MFLOPS??
NO! That can't be. Can someone report the MFLOPS on the 860 chip?
By the way, IBM claimed in the Wizard product announcemeny that
they will support it under AIX (IBM's Unix) "in the near future"
Last I heard, the list on this board was $4000.00, and I've seen
it MAIL ORDER for $3000.00.

ADAPTER NAME: IBM* PS/2* Wizard Adapter
    SUPPORTS: PS/2* Computers with Micro Channel* Bus
FEATURE CODE: 3462
 PART NUMBER: 34F3062
  BUS MASTER: YES
   AVAILABLE: 4/90
              performance of advanced, numeric-intensive applications on the
              PS/2* Model 70 and 80 computers.  This bus master adapter uses
              the Intel** i860** microprocessor which features a RISC integer
              core, an advanced floating point processing unit, a graphics
              unit, internal instruction cache and internal data cache in a
              single 1-million transistor chip.  The adapter also contains 2MB
              of random access memory (RAM), which is expandable to a total of
              8MB using the IBM* PS/2 Wizard Memory Expansion Option (PN
              34F3061).  The adapter uses a set of application device drivers,
              shipped with the product, that enable operation with IBM
              Operating System/2* computer software.  Software toolkits are
              available that enable developers to port C and FORTRAN
              applications to execute on the PS/2 Wizard Adapters.

Also, I forgot the Prometa board when I made my last post. It's pretty
fast, but you have to run THEIR unix:

COMPANY: PROMETA AB  -- [575-A]
ADDRESS: Box 4049
         S-18204 Enebyberg
         SWEDEN
  PHONE: 46-8-661-0454 / 1-800-283-6382
    FAX: 46-8-792-5220

ADAPTER NAME: WS/88K Bus Master
    SUPPORTS: PS/2 - YES   RISC System/6000 - NO   9371 Model 14 - NO
  BUS MASTER: YES
   AVAILABLE: 6/90
              Master provides a complete UNIX** System V workstation.  It runs
              all 88Open BCS UNIX applications in parallel with OS/2* or DOS
              computer software.  Integrated Windows** software user
              interface.  4-8MB RAM, 17 MIPS 7 MFLOPS (one processor).  1-4
              processors.

Good Luck!!
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2