[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Enhanced graphics cards, XGA

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (11/08/90)

In article <2266@sparko.gwu.edu>, timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
> As you all know, PS/2's come with 8-Bit VGA on the motherboard.  I was
> wondering whether this is disabled when you add an enhanced graphics
> card.  One of the expansion slots is designed for such cards - what is
> the difference?  What happens if I install the card in a different slot?
> I know of only three such cards on the market today: IBM's 8514/A, the NEC
> Graphic Engine, and the RasterOps ColorBoard 1024MC (brand new, and goes
> for $4395 -- ouch!!!).  Supposedly, the Hecules Graphics Station will
> be available for MicroChannel machines next year.

    Well the VGA on motherboard isn't disabled when you install a
    8514/A-adapter in the special "video" expansion slot. The VGA
    signal goes through a connector in the slot  to  the  8514/A.
    That way the 8514/A doesn't have to provide VGA emulation, it
    can use the VGA signals from the original adapter instead.

    I don't  know if it's possible to install the card in another
    slot. There are other cards in addition to those you  mentio-
    ned. Don't remeber the manufacturers (maybe Genoa and Paradi-
    se?), but  the  new  PC Magazine listed them in the 'Advisor'
    column.

    BTW, IBM  announced  a new video adapter, XGA (extended grap-
    hics array), that is used on  the  motherboards  of  the  new
    PS/2s. Supposed  to be X times faster than normal VGA, 8514/A
    compatible and add some new graphics modes (640*480*65536 co-
    lors). It's not yet available as a standalone adapter but so-
    meday ;-).

--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (11/09/90)

In article <3970.27397b49@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>    BTW, IBM  announced  a new video adapter, XGA (extended grap-
>    hics array), that is used on  the  motherboards  of  the  new
>    PS/2s. Supposed  to be X times faster than normal VGA, 8514/A
>    compatible and add some new graphics modes (640*480*65536 co-
>    lors). It's not yet available as a standalone adapter but so-
>    meday ;-).
>
>	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi
>    University of Helsinki  |         |   bitnet: TMOTTONEN@FINUH
>   Dept.of Computer Science |_________|	  decnet: HYLK::TMOTTONEN

Actually, the XGA adapter was annouced for 386 and 486 based microchannel
machines.  I believe the price of the card is about $1100.  However, the
educational discount price is closer to $650.

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote:	"A red sky at night may be a shepard's delight, but you're 	|

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.170021.17437@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:

>Actually, the XGA adapter was annouced for 386 and 486 based microchannel
>machines.  I believe the price of the card is about $1100.  However, the
>educational discount price is closer to $650.

Announced ? Hum. Is that and the model 90 up?