[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Adding a Hard Drive to PS/2 Mod 60

true@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Frederick True) (11/13/90)

I've been attentively following some of the discussion of adding hard drives
to various systems lately, but I'm still not sure I'm clear on this: if I
have a PS/2 Model 60 and want to add a second hard drive, is the existing
controller able to handle another drive or do I have to add another
controller on the bus? The Model 60 has one free hard drive bay, with a
connector which appears to go to the existing drive controller. From this, I
assume that I can simply buy another drive (of compatably type) and stick it
in the free bay. Is this a valid assumption?

Secondly, if it is the case that the current controller can handle another
drive, what type of drive can I put in there? In other words, what type of
interface is it? It's obviously not SCSI (although SCSI controllers are
available for the MCA bus), so exactly what is it and what types of drives
will it work with?

These questions were obviously too much for my local Computerland
salesperson, who just wanted me to buy another controller anyhow. Any
information will be appreciated!

Frederick True        	true@elbereth.rutgers.edu	ftrue@attmail.att.com
On the Warmer Side of Cool   *   Insert random witty gem here...

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (11/13/90)

In article
<Nov.12.19.08.08.1990.2730@elbereth.rutgers.edu!>,true@elbereth.rutgers.edu
     (Frederick True) writes:
> I've been attentively following some of the discussion of adding hard drives
> to various systems lately, but I'm still not sure I'm clear on this: if I
> have a PS/2 Model 60 and want to add a second hard drive, is the existing
> controller able to handle another drive or do I have to add another
> controller on the bus? The Model 60 has one free hard drive bay, with a
> connector which appears to go to the existing drive controller. From this, I
> assume that I can simply buy another drive (of compatably type) and stick it
> in the free bay. Is this a valid assumption?

    I have experience only with the 44MB model 60  (60-041),  but
    here goes:  The  existing  controller is a MFM controller and
    you can add another drive. You could buy  an  additional  IBM
    harddrive, similar to the original drive (40MB, too many mil-
    liseconds ;-)), but you could also look for products from ot-
    her vendors.  Just  make sure the hd type is supported by the
    BIOS. If you like, I could dig up a list of the supported ty-
    pes.

> Secondly, if it is the case that the current controller can handle another
> drive, what type of drive can I put in there? In other words, what type of
> interface is it? It's obviously not SCSI (although SCSI controllers are
> available for the MCA bus), so exactly what is it and what types of drives
> will it work with?

    MFM. BTW, you could consider a SCSI adapter and a 60  or  120
    MB drive.  You  could  get  it  cheap if you're a student (at
    least over here in Finland student discounts are noticeable).
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) (11/18/90)

As I expect the BIOS of Model 60 and Model 80 to be similar:
Which types of MFM-Drives are supportet by the PS/2 BIOS?

Thanks a 1e6, with best greetings from Bavaria		-- Florian

*** Florian Reichl, Fliederstr. 21, W-8035 Gauting, Germany ***