[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] 2MB RAM in Model 50Z

Jim Gerlach <GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/02/90)

I have a PS/2 Model 50Z with a ESDI 60MB drive. It currently has 1MB of RAM
and I would like to increase that to 2MB. I understand that IBM SIMM's are
expensive and I am wondering if 3rd party RAM is a viable option. Suggestions
and comments are welcome. Also... what could I use the original 1MB for?

Jim Gerlach - Cancer Research Laboratories
GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (NetNorth/BITNET)   Room 358, Botterell Hall
tel (613) 545-6446                            Kingston, Ontario
fax (613) 544-9708                            CANADA  K7L 3N6

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/03/90)

In article <90336.033818GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Jim Gerlach) writes:
> I have a PS/2 Model 50Z with a ESDI 60MB drive. It currently has 1MB of RAM
> and I would like to increase that to 2MB. I understand that IBM SIMM's are
> expensive and I am wondering if 3rd party RAM is a viable option. Suggestions
> and comments are welcome.

I just bought a 2MB RAM card for the same model. I found a Kingston card (I
understand they are reasonably highly regarded) for 189 pounds over here.
Since they are a US manufacturer, I would guess the same amount in dollars
for you! As a comparison, the cheapest I could get an IBM card for was
about 340 pounds.

The Kingston card was a KTM2000/M70. That's right, it is also used in the
Model 70. It seems fine. No problems fitting it; just snap out the hard
drive, floppy drive, interface cards and the subchassis (there is even a
special tool for that stored inside the machine). I ran the IBM memory test
from the reference disk (Ctrl-A at the first menu) and it seems fine.

> .......................... Also... what could I use the original 1MB for?

I don't know, but I'd be interested in the answer. I have a 2-8MB expansion
card in a Model 80, with two out of four SIMMs fitted. Is the 1MB card likely
to work there? (the 2MB SIMMS are the same for the 50Z and this expansion
card).
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury