[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Memory boards for MCA bus

true@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Frederick True) (11/21/90)

I'm curious about adding additional memory to a PS2/60 with an MCA bus. A
friend of mine has given me several 1MB SIMM strips, so I have all the
memory I need (4 strips, 4 meg). What I have been trying to find is a BLANK
(ie: *no* memory installed) memory expansion card for the MCA bus, but I
have not been very successful. It seems that not many people share my
situation and that all cards come with 2Meg or so already there. I wouldn't
mind so much, but I'm looking for the cheapest option. I'm looking for a
card that will allow me to use the 4 strips I have, but perhaps expand to 8
meg in the future.

Does anyone know if such a thing is available, and if so what the cost is,
who makes it, where can I get it, etc? Failing this, how much memory can I
put on the motherboard of a PS2/60 (286)? I notice that there are 4 SIMM
strips there (currently 4 256k strips totaling 1meg). Are there any switch
settings I can poke somewhere to allow these to take the 1MB strips?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Frederick True        	true@elbereth.rutgers.edu	ftrue@attmail.att.com
On the Warmer Side of Cool   *   Insert random witty gem here...

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) (11/21/90)

I found what I think is the best value in expansion boards for PS/2's.  It
is the TECMAR MicroRam AD.  It uses 1Mb SIMMS (in pairs, so one must add
2Mb at a time), goes to 8Mb max, and here's the good part - it has a
daughter board that gives one either 2 additional serial ports OR 1 serial
and 1 parallel port.  I purchased the bare board for $268 and the daughter
board for $156 and added 8Mb of SIMMS at $47/Mb.  I use it in a PS/2 55SX,
but it is just as good for 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  The part number for
the board with NO memory is 813251 and the daughter board (no additional
slot taken) is the SS/SP Module part number is 813248.  I purchased them
from Hall-Mark Electronics.  They have an 800 number which I don't have
handy --- take that back the 800 number is for NC.  There may be others,
check 800-555-1212.  I bought SIMMS from another source.

Chuck Bennett
University of North Carolina
919-966-1134

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (11/26/90)

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:

>I found what I think is the best value in expansion boards for PS/2's.  It
>is the TECMAR MicroRam AD.  It uses 1Mb SIMMS (in pairs, so one must add
>2Mb at a time), goes to 8Mb max, and here's the good part - it has a
>daughter board that gives one either 2 additional serial ports OR 1 serial
>and 1 parallel port.  I purchased the bare board for $268 and the daughter
>board for $156 and added 8Mb of SIMMS at $47/Mb.  I use it in a PS/2 55SX,
>but it is just as good for 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  The part number for
>the board with NO memory is 813251 and the daughter board (no additional
>slot taken) is the SS/SP Module part number is 813248.  I purchased them
>from Hall-Mark Electronics.  They have an 800 number which I don't have
>handy --- take that back the 800 number is for NC.  There may be others,
>check 800-555-1212.  I bought SIMMS from another source.

>Chuck Bennett

Hate to burst somebody's bubble, but.... The model 70 and up in the PS2 line
all have 32 bit memory slots.  therefor the cards for the 50, 55sx, 60 cannot
be used in the 70 or 80, nor can the 32 bit memory card for th 70 & 80 fit in
the 50, 55sx,60.
--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov25.234751.686@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) writes:
>uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:
>
>>I found what I think is the best value in expansion boards for PS/2's.  It
>>is the TECMAR MicroRam AD.  It uses 1Mb SIMMS (in pairs, so one must add
>>2Mb at a time), goes to 8Mb max, and here's the good part - it has a
>>daughter board that gives one either 2 additional serial ports OR 1 serial
>>and 1 parallel port.  I purchased the bare board for $268 and the daughter
>>board for $156 and added 8Mb of SIMMS at $47/Mb.  I use it in a PS/2 55SX,
>>but it is just as good for 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  The part number for
>>the board with NO memory is 813251 and the daughter board (no additional
>>slot taken) is the SS/SP Module part number is 813248.  I purchased them
>>from Hall-Mark Electronics.  They have an 800 number which I don't have
>>handy --- take that back the 800 number is for NC.  There may be others,
>>check 800-555-1212.  I bought SIMMS from another source.
>
>>Chuck Bennett
>
>Hate to burst somebody's bubble, but.... The model 70 and up in the PS2 line
>all have 32 bit memory slots.  therefor the cards for the 50, 55sx, 60 cannot
>be used in the 70 or 80, nor can the 32 bit memory card for th 70 & 80 fit in
>the 50, 55sx,60.
>--
>He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
>and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond
>
>Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

Well Michael I hate to burst your bubble, but a company called Capital EquipmentCorporation (now distributing through beta lambda...18002359010) produces a mem
expansion board called the OS/RAM32.  Works for both 16 and 32 bit MCA machines.Can be configured for 2-8 MB, all autoconfigured, no switches.  Very good board,we use them in our Novell 386 servers here at BACL, has their own LIM4.0 driver,and several specialized circuits for ease in operation and access (such as the
ASIC - application-specific integrated circuit...)

Just thought you might like to know...

and the proces are cheap...for instance, for quantities of 1-4, the price scale
goes like this.

0K	299
2MB	498
4MB	698
6MB	898
8MB	998

For larger quantities the price goes down a great deal....

See ya!

--
In Real Life:		      UUCP:{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bdb
Brian D. Bisson               Internet: bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu

EAF@.Prime.COM (12/04/90)

The CEC board with 8Mb has worked well for me for the past 6 Months.

I have not used the LIM 4.0 software but instead have used it all as
extended memory.

gpatel@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Gautam Patel) (12/04/90)

	I bought an Orchid Technology's board called Ramquest
	(there's one called Ramquest Extra for MCA machines
	with 0-wait states) that I'm using in my Model 50
	(the Ramquest Extra works in the 50Z).

	The board allows for expansion up to 8MB and you can
	use any 1MB SIMM's.  When I bought it, the board cost
	me $139 (not bad for an IBM Microchannel adaptor).  I
	forget the vendor, but I got the name from Computer
	Shopper.  A call to Orchid would probably reveal several
	dealers.

	Gautam