[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Using a 3com ethernet board in a PS/2 model 80 with AIX 1.2?

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (11/28/90)

Is anybody running succesfully with a 3com ethernet board on a PS/2 model 80
running AIX 1.2?  After following the manual to the point (except not using
an Ungerman Bass board), 'ifconfig net0' or 'netconfig net0' both return
"no such device or address".  Maybe I didn't follow it exactly to the point...

Any clues?
--
Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

deroest@byron.u.washington.edu (Jim DeRoest) (11/29/90)

In article <1136@nlsun1.oracle.nl> bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>Is anybody running succesfully with a 3com ethernet board on a PS/2 model 80
>running AIX 1.2?  After following the manual to the point (except not using
>an Ungerman Bass board), 'ifconfig net0' or 'netconfig net0' both return
>"no such device or address".  Maybe I didn't follow it exactly to the point...
>
>Any clues?
>--
>Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
>ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig
>
>            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

  You have to have the 3c523.o driver installed per instructions in the
/usr/nifl/3com directory.  After kernel rebuild and boot, you can ifconfig
interface en0.  We have it working on a couple of Model 80's here.

Jim DeRoest
University Computing Services
University of Washington
(206)543-6343
deroest@cac.washington.edu

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (12/01/90)

In article <1136@nlsun1.oracle.nl> bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>Is anybody running succesfully with a 3com ethernet board on a PS/2 model 80
>running AIX 1.2?  After following the manual to the point (except not using
>an Ungerman Bass board), 'ifconfig net0' or 'netconfig net0' both return
>"no such device or address".  Maybe I didn't follow it exactly to the point...

I don't know about the documentation but if memory serves here the 3com is
not 'net0', I don't rightly recall what it is called. What you should do
is give the command 'netstat -i' and this will give you the names and status
of the various interfaces the kernel has configured.

Disclaimer: I am not a spokesperson for LCC or IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (12/01/90)

In article <1136@nlsun1.oracle.nl> bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>Is anybody running succesfully with a 3com ethernet board on a PS/2 model 80
>running AIX 1.2?  After following the manual to the point (except not using
>an Ungerman Bass board), 'ifconfig net0' or 'netconfig net0' both return
>"no such device or address".  Maybe I didn't follow it exactly to the point...
>
>Any clues?

THis problem was the subject of heated discussion a few weeks ago.
Did you buy the OS extensions LPP?  It's a miscellaneous collection
of stuff (man pages and so forth).  Buried inside that lpp are the
tools necessary to install the driver for your 3com board.  (They will
be in a directory called /usr/nifl/3com.)

Unfortunately, neither the TCP/IP manual nor the NFS manual say one
word about it.

Jack

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (12/05/90)

In article <1136@nlsun1.oracle.nl> I (bengsig@oracle.nl) asked how to use
a 3com ethernet board in a PS/2.  Thanks for the mailed and follow-up'd
is that you need an upgrade of the /usr/nifl/3com code, known to some as
AIX 1.2 level 300, and that the IRQ level of the board must be set to 12.