[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] ps2 floppys and 486's

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (12/11/90)

In article <1315@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM> jdb@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (John D. Boote) writes:
>Second question is when I bought this machine the person told me I could
>upgrade from a 386 to a 486. How do I do this, just replace a chip or do
>I replace the entire little board that the 386 chip comes on?

You get IBM's Power Platform, which is a 25Mhz 486 relacement for the
processor daughter-board that's under your second floppy-drive bay.
They take the board back, and put the Platform in it's place.  IBM just
lowered the price by $2000, so it's cost effective now.  Unfortunately,
it's not a very good 25Mhz 486, but it's about twice as fast as what
you have know.  Through the educational discount, I could probably get
it for about $800, so I'm considering it.  I'd much rather wait for
a 50Mhz version, though.