[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] IBM PS/2 Model 55SX

fkb@pyuxe.UUCP (Francine K Bryan) (12/04/90)

I am considering purchasing this model 55SX
with 2MB 386SX CPU, 60M fixed disk, and one
3.5 floppy drive.

I'd appreciate it if anyone out there having
this model could let me know if they are
satisfied/unsatisfied with its performance.

Any problems I should know about?

Thanks in advance,
Francine

nef@mace.cc.purdue.edu (paulhicks) (12/04/90)

In article <1104@pyuxe.UUCP> fkb@pyuxe.UUCP (25810-Francine K Bryan) writes:
>I am considering purchasing this model 55SX
>with 2MB 386SX CPU, 60M fixed disk, and one
>3.5 floppy drive.
>
>I'd appreciate it if anyone out there having
>this model could let me know if they are
>satisfied/unsatisfied with its performance.
>
>Any problems I should know about?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Francine

Francine,
	I have a 55SX and I think its the greatest thing
since the invention of the wheel.  Now I admit I'm a true
Blue fanatic, and that has a lot to do with my desision
to buy it.  Also, I got a great student discount through the
university, so I jumped on the oportunity.(Incuding sofware)
	I am running Windows 3.0, and find that I  will need at least
4 Meg to make multiple DOS applications run (ussualy more than 3)
at a time, so I would urge you to buy more mem ASAP.  The other
quirk is that it only comes with 3 expansion slots. (I don't
think I will need more than this, but who knows?)  If 386SX's
are of interest to you, and you wish to stick with a true blue
(I am sure many netters will try to convince you otherwise),
why not try the 65SX with its tower configureation? (It has
more slots.)

Paul

PS.  If anyone outside of Purdue gets this, please let me know.

PPS.  A while a go I heard that 4Meg simms were coming on the
      market.  Does anyone know if this is true?

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (12/06/90)

Slower than a fast 386, butthat is expected.

Basicly happy with performance.  Am using Windows with QEMM386.
4mb memory necessary for Windows.

But the biggest problems I have found are the number of slots
and the size of the hard disk.

The 60 mb of HD space went real fast.  therefore, added a SCSI
board and an external SCSI drive.  (1 slot)

Then wanted more memory.  there are two memory slots on the
motherboard which can take either 1mb or 2mb chips.  The system
I had came with 2 - 1mb SIMMS.  So as opposed to buying 2 - 2mb
SIMMS and saving the 1mb SIMMs for a rainy day (expensive) I installed
an additional memory card with 2mb of memory (cheaper).  (2 slots)

Now I have one slot left and am facing a real dilemma.  Do I used the
slot for a Hayes ESP board so that I can perform serial data transfers
under windows at greater than 2400 baud without losing characters or
do I use it for an XGA board?  Problem is I want both bu only have one
slot.

Possible solutions are taking out the memory board and buying the 2mb
SIMMs but that limits me to a total of 4mb of memory.  Or buying
another hard disk and get rid of the current internal drive and the
external drive.  But this prevents me from installing a SCSI tape
backup unit and a CD-ROM off of the SCSI.  So the dilemma is there

Time to buy a new machine.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

n8840371@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Todd Crowe) (12/06/90)

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Then wanted more memory.  there are two memory slots on the
>motherboard which can take either 1mb or 2mb chips.  The system
>I had came with 2 - 1mb SIMMS.  So as opposed to buying 2 - 2mb
>SIMMS and saving the 1mb SIMMs for a rainy day (expensive) I installed
>an additional memory card with 2mb of memory (cheaper).  (2 slots)

Actually, this is not quite true.  I bought my PS/2 55SX this summer to
run OS/2 and Windows (which it does just fine).  Rather that buying a new
board to bring me up to 6 megs, I bought one of the new 4 meg simms.  They
are kind of expensive normally (the best I found mail order was about $900)
but through my university I got one for $650 and installed it myself.

ss@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Srinivasan Seshan) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.231442.23445@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
|> Then wanted more memory.  there are two memory slots on the
|> motherboard which can take either 1mb or 2mb chips.  The system
|> I had came with 2 - 1mb SIMMS.  So as opposed to buying 2 - 2mb
|> SIMMS and saving the 1mb SIMMs for a rainy day (expensive) I installed
|> an additional memory card with 2mb of memory (cheaper).  (2 slots)

....some other stuff....

|> Possible solutions are taking out the memory board and buying the 2mb
|> SIMMs but that limits me to a total of 4mb of memory.  Or buying
|> another hard disk and get rid of the current internal drive and the
|> external drive.  But this prevents me from installing a SCSI tape
|> backup unit and a CD-ROM off of the SCSI.  So the dilemma is there
|>
|> Time to buy a new machine.
|>
|> - Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

Two things -

1)  I would go talk to the dealer that you purchased you 55SX from  since
	you got robbed!!  The 55SX-061 (60meg hard drive model) has always
	come with 1-2meg simm.  The 55SX-031 (30meg hard drive) initially
	came with 2-1meg simms but was changed (I think last summer) to
	also have 1-2meg simm.  I remember seeing some news of various
	IBM dealers replacing the simms in the 55SX (since they were 80ns
            ^^^^^^^ (not IBM)
	simms but the 55SX need only 100ns?) with cheaper simms.  Something
	similar might have happened with you.

2)  The 55SX will take 4meg simms on the motherboard for a total possible
	of 8megs on the motherboard (two - 4meg simms).  I currently have
	6megs (a 4meg and a 2meg) in my 55SX-061.

General comments -  I am quite satisfied with my 55SX.  The only problem I've
ever had is that when I bought a 5.25" floppy for it they were quite expensive
and slow (~$300)  It seems that they are cheaper now ~180 (pacific rim at soft
warehouse).

Also one comment about the 4meg simms.  Putting one in your 55SX slows down
performance by about 10-15% on various benchmarks.  Are memory accesses slower
for some reason????  Does anyone know anything about this???

Srini Seshan

martyz@groucho (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.231442.23445@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Slower than a fast 386, butthat is expected.

So far no one has mentioned the speed of the hard drive.  I have a 55sx on
my desk here at work, and I am very dismayed by the SLOW response of the
hard disk.  It makes Windows a real drag to work with.

Don't think I'm spoiled by a faster machine at home, either.  My home machine	is a cheap 286 clone with a (supposedly) slow hard disk and a clone VGA card.
There is no competition for the title of Preferred Machine: I'd rather work
at home.

Marty

--
Marty Zimmerman
Computer Services

chris@peregrine.peregrine.com (Chris Cole) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.231442.23445@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Possible solutions are taking out the memory board and buying the 2mb
>SIMMs but that limits me to a total of 4mb of memory.  Or buying ...
>Time to buy a new machine.

Another solution is buying 4mb SIMMs (I recommend Kingston Memories).
These can be had for about $400, are reliable and fast, and allow you
to go to 8mb without using up a precious slot.

ss@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Srinivasan Seshan) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec06.165102.12527@groucho>, martyz@groucho writes:
|> In article <1990Dec5.231442.23445@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
|> >Slower than a fast 386, butthat is expected.
|> >
|> So far no one has mentioned the speed of the hard drive.  I have a 55sx on
|> my desk here at work, and I am very dismayed by the SLOW response of the
|> hard disk.  It makes Windows a real drag to work with.
|>
|> Don't think I'm spoiled by a faster machine at home, either.  My home machine	is a cheap 286 clone with a (supposedly) slow hard disk and a clone VGA card.
|> There is no competition for the title of Preferred Machine: I'd rather work
|> at home.
|>
|> Marty
|>
|> --
|> Marty Zimmerman
|> Computer Services
|> University of Idaho
|> <martyz@ted.cs.uidaho.edu>     or    <martyz@idui1.bitnet>

You must have the 30mb hard drive model.  It is a 30mb, 40ms, ST-506 drive.

Not very exciting.  However, the model with the 60mb hard drive is much

better.  It is 27ms, ESDI.  Quite a good performer.  I have no complaints

about it.

Srini Seshan

martyz@groucho (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.211404.26287@agate.berkeley.edu> ss@sprite.Berkeley.EDU (Srinivasan Seshan) writes:
>In article <1990Dec06.165102.12527@groucho>, martyz@groucho writes:
>|> In article <1990Dec5.231442.23445@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>
>You must have the 30mb hard drive model.  It is a 30mb, 40ms, ST-506 drive.
>Not very exciting.  However, the model with the 60mb hard drive is much
>better.  It is 27ms, ESDI.  Quite a good performer.  I have no complaints
>about it.
>
>Srini Seshan

Nope.  I have the 60M model, and it is slow, slow, slow.  A big improvement
over my old Model 30/286, but still not up to the non-IBM competition.

Marty