[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Error 162 on ps-2/50

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (12/27/90)

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

>I have an early PS/2 model 50 with an increasingly sick disk...
>But now it won't boot at all, gives me a 162 error at boot time.
Is this a dead controller, a dead disk, or both? ...

Error 162 indicates that the hardware configuration does not agree
with the stored setup.  It can indicate a component failure, external
device not turned on, etc., but in most of the machines I repair it
results from a dead lithium battery (which backs-up the RAM which
holds the setup parameters, and runs the internal clock/calendar).
The battery lasts 3-5 years.

Measure  the battery voltage;  if it's less than about 5.5 volts,
replace it.  Then boot the reference disk and reconfigure.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu