[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] IBM 8513 monitor problems -- all 20 of them

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) (01/03/91)

Is anybody experiencing problems with IBM 8513 monitors?  We have recently
received approx 20 of them, each with a less than desirable display.  When
a white screen is displayed, e.g. Windows or MS Word's print preview, we
get a blue blotch on the left side and a brown blotch on the right.  These
are definitely noticeable!

Anybody else in this situation?

Thanks.

Steve
Steve Huff, student, University of Kansas         HomeNet: 913 749 4720
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Don't_hold_your_breath_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225

frank@ut-emx.uucp (Frank Abernathy) (01/05/91)

In article <27676.27822b59@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:
> Is anybody experiencing problems with IBM 8513 monitors?  We have recently
> received approx 20 of them, each with a less than desirable display.  When
> a white screen is displayed, e.g. Windows or MS Word's print preview, we
> get a blue blotch on the left side and a brown blotch on the right.  These
> are definitely noticeable!
>
> Anybody else in this situation?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
> Steve Huff, student, University of Kansas         HomeNet: 913 749 4720
> Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
> Don't_hold_your_breath_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225
You did not mention the serial numbers of the monitors in question.

IBM had a recall program (not well announced) for 8513 displays in the
serial number range of 72-0000000 thru 72-0640000.

If yours are in that range, call your local IBM Service Center and discuss
ECA-017 with them.

If you have further questions, please send e-mail to frank@ut-emx

If yours are not in the serial number range mentioned above, I'd still call
and see if there is yet another recall.

One of the 8513 crts that we just had replaced is flashing and dying....

...another call to iBM.

Hope this helps some.

later
frank
--
Frank Abernathy, University of Texas at Austin, frank@ut-emx.utexas.edu
Work: (512)-471-3216      Home: (512)-244-0625 (ans. mach always on...)

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (01/09/91)

In article <27676.27822b59@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

>Is anybody experiencing problems with IBM 8513 monitors?  We have recently
>received approx 20 of them, each with a less than desirable display.  When
>a white screen is displayed, e.g. Windows or MS Word's print preview, we
>get a blue blotch on the left side and a brown blotch on the right.  These
>are definitely noticeable!
>
>Anybody else in this situation?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Steve

I fixed my blotches by rubbing a refrigerator magnet around the screen.
Does this cause any harm to the monitor?

Thomas Dwyer III                        Email: tomiii@mtu.edu
Network Programmer                             tomiii@mtus5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services           Voice: (906) 487-2110
Michigan Technological University       Fax:   (906) 487-2787

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) (01/13/91)

> I fixed my blotches by rubbing a refrigerator magnet around the screen.
> Does this cause any harm to the monitor?

It shouldn't... that's basically a mini bulk eraser.

One other note: IBM told us (after replacing 22 of our IBM 8513 monitors)
the blotches would disappear after use.  We're not holding our breath.

Steve

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/13/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware, TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) typed:
$In article <27676.27822b59@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:
$>Is anybody experiencing problems with IBM 8513 monitors?  We have recently
$>received approx 20 of them, each with a less than desirable display.  When
$>a white screen is displayed, e.g. Windows or MS Word's print preview, we
$>get a blue blotch on the left side and a brown blotch on the right.  These
$>are definitely noticeable!
$I fixed my blotches by rubbing a refrigerator magnet around the screen.
$Does this cause any harm to the monitor?

   Most decent monitors have a built-in degausser which should take care of
the problem over a period of time.  Rubbing a fairly weak magnet around the
screen shouldn't cause any permanent damage, though it might exacerbate the
original problem.  And I don't know if the 8513 has a degausser, since (IMHO)
it doesn't fall into the category of "decent" monitors.  One of our clients
has had _so_ many problems with the darn things going fuzzy that my instinct
is to use them as boat anchors.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (01/14/91)

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:

>> I fixed my blotches by rubbing a refrigerator magnet around the screen.
>> Does this cause any harm to the monitor?

>It shouldn't... that's basically a mini bulk eraser.

>One other note: IBM told us (after replacing 22 of our IBM 8513 monitors)
>the blotches would disappear after use.  We're not holding our breath.

Blotches are caused by permanent magnetization of the shadow mask
(sheet of metal with holes in it, just behind the screen).  The 8513
and all other modern color monitors and TVs have "de-gaussing" coils
built in, which operate momentarily when the power is turned on.  It's
a coil of wire wrapped around the forward part of the tube, connected
to AC power through a thermistor which increases resistance when it
gets warm and limits the current.  (Monitors of DEC VT-240 and some
others use a relay instead of a thermistor.)

A _very_ common failure in IBM 8512 and 8513 monitors is a shorted de-
gaussing thermistor, which causes the internal fuse to blow.  The
device is a rectangular black plastic box with three terminals, and is
located a few inches behind the green LED pilot light, near the de-
gaussing coil connector.  The monitor will work without the de-
gausser, but may develop blotches of bad color.  Check to see if the
IBM replacements have had de-gauss thermistors removed.  In that case,
use a handheld de-gaussing coil (available at electronics stores).
The proper procedure is to place the monitor in the position in which
it will be used, turn the monitor OFF, move the coil in circular
motion around the screen (plane of coil parallel to screen), then draw
it away from the screen _before_ turning it off.

De-magnetizing requires an AC magnetic field which is gradually
decreased.  Using a permanent magnet to de-gauss a color CRT will make
the problem worse.

Unconfirmed report:  The de-gaussing thermistor in IBM 8512, 8513 and
3192 monitors is identical to the one in NEC 1401 monitors.  It is NEC
part number 38112026, "positive thermistor degaussing control," $2.50
from:

     NEC Home Electronics
     1255 Michael Dr.
     Wood Dale IL 60191-1094.

BTW, monochrome CRTs require no de-gaussing because they have no
shadow masks.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu