[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Problem with 3.5" drive???

rc7@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Catrambone) (01/27/91)

I have an IBM PS/2 80.  Something appears to be wrong with
my A drive (3.5'' high density).  Right now the computer
won't even boot up from the hard disk (I get two beeps
and then "162" appears on the screen).  If I boot up from
the Reference Diskette, I can then use the computer (including
the hard disk) but I can't use the A drive.  When I try
even just to get a directory listing, I get an error
along the lines of "Sector not found error."  I don't
get this problem when I use the external 3.5'' drive
(from Procom).  What should I do in terms of trying
to diagnose the problem??  Thanks for whatever help
you can give.
--
CATRAMBONE,RICHARD
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!rc7

shack@cs.arizona.edu (David Shackelford) (01/27/91)

In article <20439@hydra.gatech.EDU> rc7@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Catrambone) writes:
>I have an IBM PS/2 80.  Something appears to be wrong with
>my A drive (3.5'' high density).  Right now the computer
>won't even boot up from the hard disk (I get two beeps
>and then "162" appears on the screen).  If I boot up from
>the Reference Diskette, I can then use the computer (including
>the hard disk) but I can't use the A drive.  When I try

The 162 error refers to "systems options not set -- run setup".  This
probably means you need to run the configuration on the reference disk
to update your CMOS ram to match what it thinks you have.

This could cause both the inability to boot from C: and the problem with
reading A: if the CMOS config thinks you have a low density drive in the
A slot.

Hope this points you to the solution...

Dave.  | shack@cs.arizona.edu