[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] ABIOS

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (01/29/91)

Any suggestions for books on the PS/2 ABIOS and CBIOS?  I assume the CBIOS
is same as the PC/XT type but the ABIOS is definately a horse of a different
color.

Thanks.

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (Darius Vaskelis) (01/29/91)

In article <20607@hydra.gatech.EDU>, jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) says:

>Any suggestions for books on the PS/2 ABIOS and CBIOS?  I assume the CBIOS
>is same as the PC/XT type but the ABIOS is definately a horse of a different
>color.

Why not get it right from the horse's mouth?

 IBM Personal System/2 and Personal Computer BIOS Interface Technical Reference
 Part Number 68X2341

Knowing Big Blue, the retail price is probably huge beyond belief, but I have
it and it's pretty damn good.  No BIOS source code anymore like the original
IBM PC BIOS Tech. Ref., but just about damn near everything else.

For reference, in the manual, they are referred to as BIOS (Basic Input/Ouput
System) and ABIOS (Advanced BIOS).  Internally at IBM, most engineers tend to
call them ABIOS (Advanced BIOS) and BBIOS (Basic BIOS).

- Darius
  BITNET: U39648@UICVM              |      "Don't set fire to strangers."
Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu      |      - Mr. Zarniwoop

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (01/30/91)

In article <20607@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>Any suggestions for books on the PS/2 ABIOS and CBIOS?  I assume the CBIOS
>is same as the PC/XT type but the ABIOS is definately a horse of a different
>color.

Phoenix Technologies have produced references on the "System Bios" (PC/XT),
"Compatibilitiy Bios" (PS/2) and "Advanced Bios" (PS/2).  They're
published by Addison Wesley.  I've only read the ABIOS one; it is rather more
complete and rather cheaper than the IBM Tech Ref. (About $30 US).
The ISBN for the ABIOS is 0-201-51805-8.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (01/30/91)

In article <20607@hydra.gatech.EDU>, jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
> Any suggestions for books on the PS/2 ABIOS and CBIOS?  I assume the CBIOS
> is same as the PC/XT type but the ABIOS is definately a horse of a different
> color.

There are three books in a series from Addison-Wesley; all by Phoenix (of BIOS
fame). They are pretty good. I think they are about 25$ each in the US.

One book is the old BIOS; not very useful now. Another is the CBIOS (the old
BIOS but extended a bit, e.g. extra keyboard support). This is the
Compatibility BIOS. The last is the ABIOS (the multitasking one). This is
the Advanced BIOS.

In addition, there is an IBM BIOS Tech ref which is about 40 pounds over here.
It has CBIOS and ABIOS stuff in it, but a little less discussion.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

qintar@agora.rain.com (Jim Seymour) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan29.163613.27017@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>In article <20607@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>>Any suggestions for books on the PS/2 ABIOS and CBIOS?  I assume the CBIOS
>>is same as the PC/XT type but the ABIOS is definately a horse of a different
>>color.
>
>Phoenix Technologies have produced references on the "System Bios" (PC/XT),
>"Compatibilitiy Bios" (PS/2) and "Advanced Bios" (PS/2).  They're
>published by Addison Wesley.  I've only read the ABIOS one; it is rather more
>complete and rather cheaper than the IBM Tech Ref. (About $30 US).
>The ISBN for the ABIOS is 0-201-51805-8.
>
>Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
>University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
>University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
>Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

A word of caution about the Phoenix book:  There are a significant number of
typos in the book (especially in the tables).  We used the Phoenix book to
*learn* ABIOS, but the IBM Tech Reference to *use* it.

On the subject, has anybody had any trouble with specific ABIOS functions?
We've found at least one bug (in the Reset Disk service) and have had some
poor luck with one other function (switch back to Real mode).

     -Jim Seymour                                    qintar@agora.UUCP
     Cipher Systems, Inc.,    P.O. Box 329,    North Plains, OR  97133