[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] PS/2 :^H- on boot

mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) (02/06/91)

I have a strange question about my IBM PS/2 Model 50Z.

When I boot with MS-DOS, I get my normal prompt, but there also appears an
extra character.

(I don't know the name of it, but it is the same character that is often
used as division on a pocket-calculator.  It's something like:
    : ^H -
)

I have to press Backspace to erase the character. Then I have no problem, my
system works fine.

But, although it doesn't bother me to much, I still would like to know if
this is normal.

My questions:

1) Does someone else have the same 'problem' with a PS/2 ?
2) Can someone explain why this happens, and how to fix it ?

Thanks a lot!

You can contact me by e-mail:   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl

NOTE: My PS/2 doesn't have any password installed. (Maybe this is important)
NOTE2: It's not MS-DOS-s fault. The character also appears when I boot
MINIX (a unix version), or the OS/2 DOS-box.

Matthijs van Doorn

| " To do is to be   - Nietsche  |                        /|   /|   /   \
|   To be is to do   - Kant      |   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl    / |  / |  /     |
|   Do be do be do   - Sinatra " |   VU Amsterdam       /  | /  | /     |
|________________________________|_____________________/___|/___|/_____/

boegehol@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Harald Boegeholz) (02/07/91)

In article <8976@star.cs.vu.nl> of comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware,
mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
> I have a strange question about my IBM PS/2 Model 50Z.
>
> When I boot with MS-DOS, I get my normal prompt, but there also appears an
> extra character.
> I have to press Backspace to erase the character. Then I have no problem, my
> system works fine.
> NOTE2: It's not MS-DOS-s fault. The character also appears when I boot
> MINIX (a unix version), or the OS/2 DOS-box.
I got the same problem. Since it is not a PS/2, I'm crossposting...

Most of the time, after I boot my system, there seems to be a
character in the keyboard buffer. It's displayed as ^@ at the
first prompt (probably a 0 character) and can be easily erased.

It happens under DOS and OS/2 DOS-box. Of course no character appears
in protected mode sessions.

I suspect the keyboard controller gets messed up somewhere in the boot
process, but I have no idea what could be done about it. It's a little
annoying although not particularly harmful. Btw, it happens only about
9 out of 10 times...

My system: ALR PowerVEISA 486/25 w/ Phoenix BIOS version 1.00.04

Any insight into the problem would be appreciated.

ANYBODY AT PHOENIX LISTENING OUT THERE? (think it might be their problem:-))

Harald

PS: Doorn, did you try a different keyboard yet? I haven't had
a chance yet, but I will...

--
Harald Boegeholz |Home:       hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (read daily)
--

jporter@twaddle.dell.com (Jeff Porter) (02/08/91)

In article <BOEGEHOL.91Feb7161812@asdemo.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>, boegehol@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Harald Boegeholz) writes:
|> In article <8976@star.cs.vu.nl> of comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware,
|> mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
|> > I have a strange question about my IBM PS/2 Model 50Z.
|> >
|> > When I boot with MS-DOS, I get my normal prompt, but there also appears an
|> > extra character.
|> > I have to press Backspace to erase the character. Then I have no problem, my
|> > system works fine.
|> > NOTE2: It's not MS-DOS-s fault. The character also appears when I boot
|> > MINIX (a unix version), or the OS/2 DOS-box.
|> I got the same problem. Since it is not a PS/2, I'm crossposting...
|>
|> Most of the time, after I boot my system, there seems to be a
|> character in the keyboard buffer. It's displayed as ^@ at the
|> first prompt (probably a 0 character) and can be easily erased.
|>
|> It happens under DOS and OS/2 DOS-box. Of course no character appears
|> in protected mode sessions.
|>
|> I suspect the keyboard controller gets messed up somewhere in the boot
|> process, but I have no idea what could be done about it. It's a little
|> annoying although not particularly harmful. Btw, it happens only about
|> 9 out of 10 times...

There is a problem with the KEYB.COM (or KEYB.SYS) file shipped with some
versions of MS-DOS.  It has been known to cause strange characters to appear
on boot (such as ^@ and ^H).

Jeff Porter