[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] 162 Error On Boot

andreap@ms.uky.edu (Peach) (02/07/91)

The other day, someone on here wanted to know what was causing a
POST  error 162 on their PS/2.  Everyone suggested the normal things,
but the person said none of them helped.

I just finished talking with an IBM Technician.  It seems early
versions of several PS/2 models had bugs that included an
erroneous 162 POST error.  To fix this and several other problems,
all one must do is install the line:

        DEVICE=DASDDRVR.SYS in their config.sys file.

The file DASDDRVR.SYS in on your reference.

Hope this information is useful!

jgp@moscom.UUCP (Jim Prescott) (02/08/91)

In article <andreap.665869690@s.ms.uky.edu> andreap@ms.uky.edu (Peach) writes:
>POST  error 162 on their PS/2.  Everyone suggested the normal things,
>but the person said none of them helped.
>
>I just finished talking with an IBM Technician.  It seems early
>versions of several PS/2 models had bugs that included an
>erroneous 162 POST error.  To fix this and several other problems,
>
>        DEVICE=DASDDRVR.SYS in their config.sys file.
>The file DASDDRVR.SYS in on your reference.

We've gotten the "not-really-162" 162 error too.  At some point someone
decided the floppy drive was bad and replaced it.  This cleared up the
problem for a couple weeks but it is back now.  One of the symptoms we
have is that we can't boot the floppy at all; when you hit F1 it boots
the hard disk no matter what kind of floppy is in the drive.

Is this DASDDRVR thing just something you need to run once to fix up some
non-volatile aspect of the PS/2?  Since the error comes up before booting
it seems strange that anything in a config.sys file would change it.

We actually run Interactive unix on the machine but if I can coerce it
into booting DOS somehow will this fix it?
--
Jim Prescott	jgp@moscom.com		{rit,tropix,ur-valhalla}!moscom!jgp