[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Searching for SCSI controller boards

flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) (03/03/91)

I want to install a Syquest remove cartridge drive in my IBM PS/2 Mod. 80-041.
So I am looking for an SCSI controller.
Do you have any experiences or recomendations?

Thanks a lot, sincerely yours		-- Florian

Florian Reichl, Fliederstr. 21, W-8035 Gauting, Germany, flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (03/04/91)

IBM's two cards are good and actually not THAT expensive. I bought the
non-cache card to work with AIX. I have also heard that the Adaptec card
is very good. Future Domain makes one, but I can't speak for it's quality.

Good luck.

hh

acunger@netmbx.UUCP (Arnie Unger) (03/05/91)

flo@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) writes:

>I want to install a Syquest remove cartridge drive in my IBM PS/2 Mod. 80-041.
>So I am looking for an SCSI controller.
>Do you have any experiences or recomendations?

Florian,
   I just purchased (for my model 50) a Future Domain MCS-700 board from
   an authorized dealer in the States for about $345.00.  It is a SCSI-2
   compatible board, which is what interested me.  I don't have it yet,
   but should anyday now.  There is a ton of software that comes with it
   for a number of drives and systems (ie Novell, OS/2, etc.).

   FD can send you a brochure, but I'll summarize here.  It has the TMC-1800
   (10 mb/second) SCSI chip.  It will work with any MC machine.  Comes
   with 6 3.5 inch software disks.  Has an 8k FIFO buffer.  Also has
   a 7-year warranty.  This was important to me, and was the reason
   that I had a friend buy it through an authorized dealer.  You must do
   so to have FD support the warranty.  There were cheaper places,
   but buyer beware!  FD has technical support lines and nice docs.
   It'll support 7 devices and has support for removable media.
   MTBF > 150,000 hours!  Specs are nice.

  FD does not accept direct orders.
  Their address if: 2801 McGaw Avenue, Irvine, CA 92714 (714) 253-0400

  Their distributor in Munchen is: Agora, 089-42093-0 voice
					  089-42093-150 fax

Arnie Unger (acunger%netmbx@tmpmbx.UUCP) Berlin, Germany 030-692-93-08
"Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple
and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Subtle Plans Are
Here Again'." - Black Adder