[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Need info for adding more Hard disk space

jas6525@isc.rit.edu (J.A. Shue ) (03/18/91)

I have a IBM PS/2 model 70 with a 60mb edsi and am looking to add
another hard disk for additional storage.  What boards are available
to get SCSI on MicroChannel architecture?  What hard disks can I get
for $100-$500 range.  What else would I need for these HD's to be
external?

Any answers to these questions would be helpful.  If responders to my
query wish to conserve bandwidth, responces may be send via e-mail at
jas6525@ultb.isc.rit.edu or jas6525@vaxc.isc.rit.edu
otherwise respond here.
                -SHUEMIESTER
                -john a shue

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.025916.24857@isc.rit.edu> jas6525@isc.rit.edu (J.A. Shue ) writes:
>I have a IBM PS/2 model 70 with a 60mb edsi and am looking to add
>another hard disk for additional storage.

The IBM 120MB ESDI will directly replace the 60 presently in your system, and
can sometimes be found used. You can then sell you 60 to a Model 50z owner
that wants to go from 30MB to 60MB. Also, CMS sells a "compatible" drive.
I say "compatible", because I have heard rumors that the drive they sell
is acually manufactured by IBM.

>What boards are available
>to get SCSI on MicroChannel architecture?  What hard disks can I get

I have the IBM non-cache board (got it for $350). Adaptec makes a good
SCSI adapter, and I've heard great things about the Future Domain board.
I'm sure there must be others . . .

>for $100-$500 range.  What else would I need for these HD's to be
>external?

Don't know about drive prices, look in ANY computer magazine in the back!!
As far as making a SCSI drive external, plan on paying a good bit for
the cable, and go to your local discount store (or mail order) and buy
an external HD case with power supply. Don't forget the connector and
internal cables for the case. SCSI cables have gotten pretty standard
(dual row, 50 PIN connector on 0.1 centers)

>                -SHUEMIESTER
>                -john a shue

****

Has anyone considered making a "Commonly asked questions" files?
I've seen this question MANY times . . . . (which is why I posted
a response rather than E-mailed one)

hh
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB    |    Georgia Tech Research Institute
Research Engineer II        |    Georgia Institute of Technology
404-528-7679                |    Atlanta Georgia, 30332
hh2@prism.gatech.edu        |    "What makes it DO that?!" - Bones