[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Soundblaster for MCA

friedber@convex.com (Don Friedberg) (03/14/91)

I just talked to the people at Brown Waugh publishing (the people who
advertise the Soundblaster) abouth the Microchannel version and they
gave me the following information:

1) It will be available at the end of this month.

2) Because of the smaller card size (their words) it will not have the built-
   in amplifier or the CMS sockets.

3) It will retail in the neighborhood of $349.95.  (I am not exactly sure
   of this price since I was so in shock when I heard the first number was a 3
   that I may have mixed up the rest of the digits slightly).

What exactly do the CMS sockets add to the regular soundblaster?

Does anyone else think that charging more for a card that has less function
is crazy?

				Don

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.155003.4119@convex.com> friedber@convex.com (Don Friedberg) writes:
>I just talked to the people at Brown Waugh publishing (the people who
>advertise the Soundblaster) abouth the Microchannel version and they
>gave me the following information:
>
>1) It will be available at the end of this month.

Yeah! About &^%() time . . . .

>2) Because of the smaller card size (their words) it will not have the built-
>   in amplifier or the CMS sockets.

No problem there . . .

>3) It will retail in the neighborhood of $349.95.  (I am not exactly sure
>   of this price since I was so in shock when I heard the first number was a 3
>   that I may have mixed up the rest of the digits slightly).
>Does anyone else think that charging more for a card that has less function
>is crazy?

Ouch. Oh well.

Yes, I think it's crazy. The most an MCA adapter should cost over an AT
bus card is $40.00.  There are QUITE A LOT of MCA interface chips that make
it an absolute SNAP to build cards for the MCA bus. The addition of a couple
of interface chips (which actually ease the design process) should easily
offset the cost of an on-board amp; The boards SHOULD cost the same.

Ny guess is that there are three reason why the price is higher.

1.) They don't think they'll sell as many.

2.) They don't like IBM.

3.) They think that people that buy IBM products are millionaires or
    Government offices :=) and don't CARE how much the thing costs.
    I.e., they think they can get more, so they're gonna try to. . .

Only # 1 is a lagit reason. The problem, is that it's a no win situation.
If we protest by not buying it, they'll say "Ah-HA!! we were right. The
IBMers don't WANT a soundblaster." If we BUY it, we loose bucks. I guess
it's time somebody designed and sold a Soundblaster/Adlib clone just for
MCA.  :=))))

>Don

hh
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB    |    Georgia Tech Research Institute
Research Engineer II        |    Georgia Institute of Technology
404-528-7679                |    Atlanta Georgia, 30332
hh2@prism.gatech.edu        |    "What makes it DO that?!" - Bones

martyz@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.155003.4119@convex.com> friedber@convex.com (Don Friedberg) writes:
>I just talked to the people at Brown Waugh publishing (the people who
>advertise the Soundblaster) abouth the Microchannel version and they
>gave me the following information:

>Does anyone else think that charging more for a card that has less function
>is crazy?

Apparently IBM doesn't.  They've been charging more for a machine that has
less function ever since the PS/2 line came out!

(0.5 :-) on this one)

kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge) (03/18/91)

Hi!

I have just come home from the Hannover computer trade fair CeBIT.
The German distributor of Creative Lab's Soundblaster - CPS -
told me that the Microchannel version is ready and in stock and will
ship this week. The card was sold on the trade fair for about
$400, but this may be a German price, US price supposedly much
cheaper.

So long ... Oliver Kluge
--
                                         / relay.cs.net (CS-NET, ARPA)
kluge%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@ - unido.uucp   (UUCP)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (03/20/91)

From article <1991Mar18.104758.1490@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, by kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge):
> Hi!
>
> I have just come home from the Hannover computer trade fair CeBIT.
> The German distributor of Creative Lab's Soundblaster - CPS -
> told me that the Microchannel version is ready and in stock and will
> ship this week. The card was sold on the trade fair for about
> $400, but this may be a German price, US price supposedly much
> cheaper.

Well, I was told there are already a few of the production version
microchannel Sound Blaster in the US, with the packing, shrink-wrap,
instruction book, and everything.  Mass delivery will start soon.
How many exactly you ask?  TWO!  Ha, ha, ha.  Sorry to get you hopes
up high.  But the masses is enroute.

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar19.214242.29332@d.cs.okstate.edu>, ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
> From article <1991Mar18.104758.1490@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, by kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge):
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have just come home from the Hannover computer trade fair CeBIT.
>> The German distributor of Creative Lab's Soundblaster - CPS -
>> told me that the Microchannel version is ready and in stock and will
>> ship this week. The card was sold on the trade fair for about
>> $400, but this may be a German price, US price supposedly much
>> cheaper.
>
> Well, I was told there are already a few of the production version
> microchannel Sound Blaster in the US, with the packing, shrink-wrap,
> instruction book, and everything.  Mass delivery will start soon.
> How many exactly you ask?  TWO!  Ha, ha, ha.  Sorry to get you hopes
> up high.  But the masses is enroute.

    I called  Brown  Wagh  Publishing  at  (408)  378-3838 and got the
    following info:

    SoundBlaster for MicroChannel is similar to  the  ISA  bus  model,
    except that it has no stereo amplifier on board. CMS chips are not
    included. MIDI  is  still  non-standard  (they called it "the UART
    standard" :-)).

    The list price is $349.95. Preorder price is $250 (offer will last
    until the thing actually ships, which is maybe a week from now).

    BTW, I heard that Hercules  is  finally  shipping  a  MicroChannel
    version of  their  Graphic  Station Card. Anyone have more info on
    that ?

    Teemu.
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

weir@husc9.harvard.edu (Robert C. Weir) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.001743.5756@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.214242.29332@d.cs.okstate.edu>, ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>> From article <1991Mar18.104758.1490@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, by kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge):
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have just come home from the Hannover computer trade fair CeBIT.
>>> The German distributor of Creative Lab's Soundblaster - CPS -
>>> told me that the Microchannel version is ready and in stock and will
>>> ship this week. The card was sold on the trade fair for about
>>> $400, but this may be a German price, US price supposedly much
>>> cheaper.
>>
>> Well, I was told there are already a few of the production version
>> microchannel Sound Blaster in the US, with the packing, shrink-wrap,
>> instruction book, and everything.  Mass delivery will start soon.
>> How many exactly you ask?  TWO!  Ha, ha, ha.  Sorry to get you hopes
>> up high.  But the masses is enroute.
>
>    I called  Brown  Wagh  Publishing  at  (408)  378-3838 and got the
>    following info:
>
>    SoundBlaster for MicroChannel is similar to  the  ISA  bus  model,
>    except that it has no stereo amplifier on board. CMS chips are not
>    included. MIDI  is  still  non-standard  (they called it "the UART
>    standard" :-)).
>
>    The list price is $349.95. Preorder price is $250 (offer will last
>    until the thing actually ships, which is maybe a week from now).

What exactly does a SoundBlaster card do?  Does it allow you to write
polyphonic music on a PS/2?  How many voices?  Do you need special software,
or can it be directly programmed?  Do you need a MIDI keyboard?

If this is common knowledge, please reply by mail.

Rob
weir@husc9.harvard.edu