[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Here's some info on MCA SoundBlaster, question about Hercules board

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/12/91)

In article <3008@sparko.gwu.edu>, timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
[...]
> The CMS chips are NOT available.  Someone posted something earlier that
> they were available for $30.  The CMS chips make the SoundBlaster act as
> a GameBlaster card as well.  Not too important, since you really don't
> need that compatibility.
[...]
    I said that. When I made the order on the SB/MCA, the woman
    at the Brown Wagh Publishing said the price for CMS chips is
    $30 extra. So could someone clear this thing up ? I can't afford
    many international calls:-) And, what's the GameBlaster all
    about ? I've always thought that the CMS chips were for stereo
    sounds.

    BTW, will the Windows driver for Hercules Graphics Station
    Card/MCA support 640x480x16-bit or 512x480x24-bit color with
    the standard 1MB VRAM/1MB DRAM ? I really can't afford a new
    graphics card AND a new hi-rez monitor now :-)

    AND, is it possible to program the card directly from DOS
    with Turbo C or Pascal ?

    Teemu.
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi
    University of Helsinki  |         |   bitnet: TMOTTONEN@FINUH