[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] harddrive & memory question

det@acsu.buffalo.edu (donald e tranquillo) (04/10/91)

  I realize that this is probably something that has been covered before,
but I have only been following this group for a few months, and don't
remember seeing answers to these questions. If it is common knowledge,
please reply by E-mail.
   1) I have a PS/2 50z, with a 30 meg harddrive. I have (of course)
      decided that I need more room.  I was thinking about replacing the
      drive (rather than installing another card, etc as has been dicussed
      before). My question is what type of harddrive do I need to go with
      my current controller (ESDI?). I've tried all kinds of diagnostic
      programs, but the only hint as to what type of controller I've got
      is 'IBM Fixed Disk Adapter'. Any insight?
   2) I have 1 meg RAM, is it possible to expand that on the system board
      of a model 50z? (even if only to 2 meg?)

                                                    - Don

- Donald Tranquillo                                     det@acsu.buffalo.edu

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (04/11/91)

In article <70155@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> det@acsu.buffalo.edu (donald e tranquillo) writes:

>  I realize that this is probably something that has been covered before,
>but I have only been following this group for a few months, and don't
>remember seeing answers to these questions. If it is common knowledge,
>please reply by E-mail.

Your question #1 is probably THE MOST often asked question. I respond
by post in hopes of answering this common question for others.
PS/2 needs a FAQ!!!!!

>   1) I have a PS/2 50z, with a 30 meg harddrive. I have (of course)
>      decided that I need more room.  I was thinking about replacing the

The 50z BIOS supports the 30, 60 and 120 MB IBM ESDI controlled IDE
drives. The 50 requires an "interposer" card that replaces the T shaped
card that connects the hard drive. This "interposer" card adds BIOS
support for the larger drives. Second sources are available. CMS offers
identical drives rumored to be IBM origonal (manufactuered) equipment.
Other 2nd sources may exist.

If you have a 50, 50z or 70 (with 60MB), you may want to consider
replacing your internal drive. If you can't dump your old drive,
keep it and get a SCSI card. Add ANY drive. Other format controllers
are available, but SCSI offers the most flexability, especially with
only three available slots.

>      before). My question is what type of harddrive do I need to go with
>      my current controller (ESDI?). I've tried all kinds of diagnostic

Your controller *IS* an ESDI, but it is integrated into the Drive
Electronics. I.e. it is and IDE drive. You cannot add a 2nd disk to
this controller.

>   2) I have 1 meg RAM, is it possible to expand that on the system board
>      of a model 50z? (even if only to 2 meg?)

Open the case and look inside. IT'S EASY! If it's like the Model 70,
you'll have three RAM slots on the motherboard. Again, if like the
Model 70, these slots can take 1 or 2 Meg SIMMs in any combination.
The 25 MHz Model 70 (70A21) I think can take the 4 MB SIMMs ( ?? )

>- Donald Tranquillo                                     det@acsu.buffalo.edu

Good luck . . . .

hh
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB    |    Georgia Tech Research Institute
Research Engineer II        |    Georgia Institute of Technology
404-528-7679                |    Atlanta Georgia, 30332
hh2@prism.gatech.edu        |    "What makes it DO that?!" - Bones
--
  Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB     "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
  Georgia Institute of Technology,        Atlanta Georgia, 30332

Jim Gerlach <GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (04/11/91)

It is relatively easy to add 2 Mb of RAM to a PS/2 Model 50Z but there are a
few caveats. The 50Z has only one SIMM slot so you must remove the current
1 Mb SIMMs and replace them with 2 Mb SIMMs, as far as I know no further
expansion is possible. There are numerous suppliers of RAM for PS/2's, just
make sure you get the appropriate RAM for your machine. I just noticed Intel
is advertising RAM modules heavily and includes support for PS/2's. Unlike the
Model 70, you have to pull a number of components to get at the RAM slot.
These include the floppy and hard drives, the fan and the upper-deck board.
This is harder to describe than to do, just follow the instructions in the
manual that came with the 50Z, it goes into sufficient detail for amateurs.
The whole process took me about 15 min. Finally you boot from the Reference
disk and run an auto-configuration when asked. When you're done you have a
machine with 2 Mb of RAM and an extra 1 Mb of RAM to make into a tie-clip.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Gerlach - Cancer Research Laboratories
James.H.Gerlach@QueensU.CA                    Queen's University
GERLACHJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (NetNorth/BITNET)   Room 358, Botterell Hall
tel (613) 545-6446                            Kingston, Ontario
fax (613) 544-9708                            CANADA  K7L 3N6

bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) (04/11/91)

Here is a twist to the often asked question...if I had the origional 30MB HD
that came with a 50Z, and a friend of mine gave me a 60MB which conveniently
slammed right in to the same slot with no hassle, now I have this 30MB doing
nothing, right?  It sits in my drawer.  So the question is, since this is the
origional drive with that damn wide interface...how can I get both the 60 and
the 30 online at the same time?  Is it possible?  90MB would suit me fine :-)

and who can you buy the 2MB sims for the 50Z from?  does that come with a kit
to pull the old 1MB simm out with?  Those buggers seem to be in there quite
tight...

And it is ez to pull one of those machines apart...just pull all the nice littlewhite plugs up and pull all the guts out...kinda like disecting...

Thanks in advance...

--
In Real Life:		      UUCP:{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bdb
Brian D. Bisson               Internet: bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (04/12/91)

In article <70155@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, det@acsu.buffalo.edu (donald e tranquillo) writes:
>    1) I have a PS/2 50z, with a 30 meg harddrive. I have (of course)
>       decided that I need more room.  I was thinking about replacing the
>       drive (rather than installing another card, etc as has been dicussed
>       before). My question is what type of harddrive do I need to go with
>       my current controller (ESDI?). I've tried all kinds of diagnostic
>       programs, but the only hint as to what type of controller I've got
>       is 'IBM Fixed Disk Adapter'. Any insight?

There are lots of third party possibilities. One is to replace the existing
drive with a larger one. Another is to put a second drive in the second
floppy bay (Core sell drives that do the latter, and probably other vendors
do as well).

>    2) I have 1 meg RAM, is it possible to expand that on the system board
>       of a model 50z? (even if only to 2 meg?)

This machine is NOT the same as a model 70 with respect to memory. You need
a 2MB SIMM card (IBM specific, but lots of third party ones are around;
I recommend Kingston). This card is (I think) IBM part num,ber 6450614,
this info can be useful when ordering from a third party. Unfortunately
it REPLACES the 1MB board inside the machine. Installation takes about 10-15
minutes and involves removing the case, the floppy drive, the floppy T-board,
the hard disk, the hard disk T-board, and the plastic subchassis. Full
instructions are in the manual that comes with the machine.

The 1MB board will work in any IBM expansion board you buy later (well, the
ones that take 2MB SIMM cards, anyway). 2MB is as much as you can get on
the motherboard (planar) in a 50Z.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury