[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Here's some info on MCA SoundBlaster

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (04/09/91)

I just called Creative Labs in California and ordered my MCA SoundBlaster
at their pre-release price of $250 (not including $5 shipping).  They
are backordered, so I won't be getting it until May they said.  When
in May?  Beats me.

Their order number is 800-544-6146.  Technical support is 408-982-9226.
Here's is all the information I could get:

There is no on-board amplifier.  I was given two reasons for this: too
much power drain and too complex to incorporate.  I didn't ask, but
this implies that board space was NOT a factor.  Anyway, it doesn't
matter much, because a friend of mine has the ISA SoundBlaster, and he
says the amplifier is sucky anyway.  I asked if they recommended an
external amplifier, and they said that they don't have any recommendations.
Any decent amplifier (e.g. a stereo amp) will do.

This is the only difference between the MCA and ISA versions.

It has a joystick adapter, but there is no switch for speed selection.
I didn't bother to ask him how it works.  As you may know, joysticks
usually require a speed selector switch for different speed machines.
I can only assume that the reference disk takes care of this.

The CMS chips are NOT available.  Someone posted something earlier that
they were available for $30.  The CMS chips make the SoundBlaster act as
a GameBlaster card as well.  Not too important, since you really don't
need that compatibility.

The MIDI expansion option is available, but I don't know anything about it.

That's all I can remember.  I don't know how long the pre-release special
will last.

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
I used to love her                                          a.k.a. Timur Tabi
But I had to kill her                            Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
I had to put her six feet under                  Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
And I can still hear her complain  - Guns 'n Roses

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/09/91)

In article <3008@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:

>There is no on-board amplifier.  I was given two reasons for this: too
>much power drain and too complex to incorporate.  I didn't ask, but
>this implies that board space was NOT a factor.  Anyway, it doesn't
>matter much, because a friend of mine has the ISA SoundBlaster, and he
>says the amplifier is sucky anyway.  I asked if they recommended an
>external amplifier, and they said that they don't have any recommendations.
>Any decent amplifier (e.g. a stereo amp) will do.

The ISA SB has a mere 4 Watt amplifier.  It works fine for me
because I use headphones (which sound GREAT).  If my computer
were in a place where I could crank up the sound, I would
certainly hook it into a stereo system.  My ISA SB came with
an adapter cord for hooking it directly into the back of a
stereo amplifier.

>It has a joystick adapter, but there is no switch for speed selection.
>I didn't bother to ask him how it works.  As you may know, joysticks
>usually require a speed selector switch for different speed machines.
>I can only assume that the reference disk takes care of this.

I don't know anything about the speed selector switch you're
talking about, but I HIGHLY recommend using the SB joystick
port for your joystick instead of any other card.  Numerous
people on the net have remarked how good it is, and I have had
absolutely no problem with mine (I have calibrated it and tested
it lots of times too).  If the MCA SB joystick port is as good,
you will definitely like it.

BTW, I use the CH Flightstick.  It's more expensive than most,
but it works great and feels great.  I got it because people on
the net recommended it, and I am not disappointed.  You can
get it for under $40 mail order; check Computer Shopper for
competitive prices.

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/09/91)

From article <3008@sparko.gwu.edu>, by timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler):
> It has a joystick adapter, but there is no switch for speed selection.
> I didn't bother to ask him how it works.  As you may know, joysticks
> usually require a speed selector switch for different speed machines.
> I can only assume that the reference disk takes care of this.

Wrong!  Wrong!  Wrong!  Do you know how a joystick works?
The CPU speed difference can be compensated either thru
hardware (the speed selector switch) or thru software.  The software
compensation is done by the game that uses the joystick.  Most all games
today compensate for different CPU speed all by itself.  You don't need
hardware compensation.  Hardware compensation is only required for
older games that do not compensate software-wise.  Popular games like
Wing Commander, Knights of the Sky, Battle of Britain, Stunt Driver, etc,
all have software compensation.

The joystick port on SB is as good as any other joystick port, with or
without speed selector, when it comes to "modern" games.

weir@husc9.harvard.edu (Robert C. Weir) (04/09/91)

In article <3008@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>I just called Creative Labs in California and ordered my MCA SoundBlaster
>at their pre-release price of $250 (not including $5 shipping).  They
>are backordered, so I won't be getting it until May they said.  When
>in May?  Beats me.
>
>Their order number is 800-544-6146.  Technical support is 408-982-9226.
>Here's is all the information I could get

Exactly what does a SoundBlaster do?  Does it allow you to write polyphonic
music?  Does it come with software?  Or is it more of a digital taperecorder
with signal processing capabilities?  Or does it allow games to use enhanced
sound effects?  Or, perhaps, does it do all of these things?

	I am interested in something that would allow me to enter 8-voice
polyphonic music and play it.  Is SoundBlaster the best, or are there others?

Thanks,
Rob
:

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.065127.17869@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>From article <3008@sparko.gwu.edu>, by timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler):
>> It has a joystick adapter, but there is no switch for speed selection.
>> I didn't bother to ask him how it works.  As you may know, joysticks
>> usually require a speed selector switch for different speed machines.
>> I can only assume that the reference disk takes care of this.
>
>Wrong!  Wrong!  Wrong!  Do you know how a joystick works?
>The CPU speed difference can be compensated either thru
>hardware (the speed selector switch) or thru software.  The software
>compensation is done by the game that uses the joystick.  Most all games
>today compensate for different CPU speed all by itself.  You don't need

Yeah, I know how a joystick works.  I just think it's stupid that you
can only use one with "modern" games.  Well, when I get it, I'll give it
a shot and let you know how well it works.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/10/91)

From article <1991Apr9.125612.464@husc3.harvard.edu>, by weir@husc9.harvard.edu (Robert C. Weir):
> Exactly what does a SoundBlaster do?  Does it allow you to write polyphonic
> music?  Does it come with software?  Or is it more of a digital taperecorder
> with signal processing capabilities?  Or does it allow games to use enhanced
> sound effects?  Or, perhaps, does it do all of these things?

It's got 11-voice FM music, and an optional 12-voice stereo CMS music ($20
extra).  It also has a 8-bit DAC and a 8-bit ADC for input and output
respectively, both using DMA (slow CPU by only 5%), input rate up to
something like 12KHz and output 27KHz.  It has a microphone jack that you
can plug in an ordinary microphone from RadioShack (mine cost $10).  It
also has optional MIDI and a joystick port.  The ISA version (that is
standard PC/XT/AT) has 2x4watts amplifier onboard, making an external
amplifier unnecessary if you are using headphone  or mini-speakers.

kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.064142.2900@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>It's got 11-voice FM music, and an optional 12-voice stereo CMS music ($20
>extra).  It also has a 8-bit DAC and a 8-bit ADC for input and output
>respectively, both using DMA (slow CPU by only 5%), input rate up to
>something like 12KHz and output 27KHz.  It has a microphone jack that you
>can plug in an ordinary microphone from RadioShack (mine cost $10).  It
>also has optional MIDI and a joystick port.  The ISA version (that is
>standard PC/XT/AT) has 2x4watts amplifier onboard, making an external
>amplifier unnecessary if you are using headphone  or mini-speakers.

Hi!

Yesterday I have got my MCA soundblaster. I would like to make
some comments on it.

First of all, THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL CMS CAPABILITY. There
isn't even a free socket on the board.
The board is not SMD, in fact, it even is no multilayer board.
Not that it would be necessary, but it would have provided
denser packing to make space for the CMS...
It also lacks the blue plastic retainers and card holders common to
MCA cards. This means that the card and the MCA connector on the
main board get physically stressed and I think on the long run
damage to the connector is inevitable. So get one of those retainers
and attach it to the board (the drill holes necessary are already
there. I checked with my distributor - These retainers REALLY aren't
missing - Creative Lab thinks they are not necessary. Bad. )

But the worst thing is:

While all audio-related parts of the card work wonderfully in my IBM
PS/2 Model 80 (16 MHz 386, 1 wait state), the joystick interface
chokes! I debugged the board with an oscilloscope, finding that
the IO interface circuitry on the Soundblaster are too slow to
follow a 16 MHz CPU!!!!! Creative Lab provided a jumper J5 to
initiate a Card Channel Ready (CD CHREADY) signal to the
bus signalling to the bus that the card will take some more
time to process the operation. This really works and makes the
joystick interface work flawlessly. However, the Soundblaster
fails to release this line timely to not disturb basic system
operations, so unpredictable system crashes occur randomly
within 0-3 minutes!
This malfunction probably stems from the fact that CL eqipped
the joystick interface part (not the audio part!) with
Low-Power Schottky (LS) TTLs that might be too slow, especially
if your machine is faster than my 16 MHz 1 wait. As any other
MCA board manufacturer does, CL is best advised to use only
Advanced Low-Power Schottky (ALS) or Fast (F) in the future.
Perhaps the PCB layout needs better design.

So, as a conclusion: I will recommend the Soundblaster MCV
(Its offficial name) to anyone wanting the SOUND. If you
need the JOYSTICK interface, wait until Creative Labs gets
its circuitry design straightened out.

Oliver Kluge

--
+----- kluge%informatik.tu-muenchen.de@relay.cs.net || @unido.uucp -----+
| Munich Institute of Technology, Mathematics and Computer Sciences SAB |

kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge) (04/13/91)

Hi out there!

I have now found the solution to the problems with the
Soundblaster Micro Channel Version.
I you have read my previous article on the issue, the
Soundblaster MCV is incapable of correctly operating
the joystick interface on a machine with 16 MHz or faster.

The culprit for this is a simple OR gate (74LS32) on the
board. It is seemingly much too slow to follow a Micro
Channel IO Write command.

This is obviously a design fault by the Creative Lab
EE designers. This has to be considered a serious bug
in the ciruitry of the board. Obviously they have failed
to recognize that a Micro Channel runs at much higher
clock speeds than normal AT busses and failed to use the proper
TTL IC family for this task (Low Power Schottky (LS) is just
not fast enough, compared to Advanced Low Power Schottky (ALS)
Advanced Schottky or Fast (AS or F). I am sending a fax to
Creative Lab suggesting them to stop delivery of the
board until the bug is fixed.

I strongly suggest to all who want to buy Soundblaster MCV
and want to use the joystick interface (the audio parts all
work well) look at the following chip:

U23 (this is the second from the left and the second from
the bottom, just directly above the jumper J1).

If a 74 LS 32 is soldered in there, reject the board or
DEMAND a test in YOUR OWN MACHINE from your dealer. If there
are 74 ALS 32, 74 F 32 or 74 AS 32, the board should run o.k.

And here is how to solve the proble if you already bought one,
it does not run the joystick AND IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED IN
HANDLING TTL IC !!!

Apply all the usual precautions against static electricity.
Carefully de-solder U23 (74 LS 32) using a vacuum solder pump.
Solder in a 74 F 32 or 74 ALS 32. This should be it.
WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU REALLY ARE EXPERIENCED
IN THIS. OTHERWISE, YOU LOSE YOUR WARRANTY AND DAMAGE TO
THE BOARD AND YOUR COMPUTER MIGHT OCCUR.

So, enjoy your Soundblaster MCV! It really is a great
thing to have in a PS/2 (if they remove the bug...)

Oliver Kluge