[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Model 60 Hard Drive Type?

uchuck@med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) (04/16/91)

We have several PS/2 Model 60's originally with 44Mb hard drives.  The
technical reference says that these are "MODIFIED MFM" type hard drives.
We plan to add a second drive in the open bay and/or swap out the 44Mb for
a larger drive.

My questions - Will a standard MFM type drive be OK or
does the "MODIFIED MFM" mean something like RLL????  Has anyone done this
or something like it with third party drives??

Any help/pointers will be appreciated.

--
  Chuck Bennett                               INTERNET: uchuck@med.unc.edu
  Medical Sciences Teaching Labs              BITNET:   uchuck@unc

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (04/16/91)

In article <3344@beguine.UUCP> uchuck@med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:

>My questions - Will a standard MFM type drive be OK or
>does the "MODIFIED MFM" mean something like RLL????  Has anyone done this
>or something like it with third party drives??

I'm 99% sure that by modified MFM they are talking about the fact that the
drive controller is part of the drive, and not seperate.  I've been looking
for Hard Drives for my 55sx, and the only company I've seen so far that
makes them (besides IBM) is Micropolis.

Your best bet is probably a SCSI controller and a SCSI board.

Good luck...

Louis
(louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us)

!       "As above, so below; as below, so above" -- The Kybalion          !
!       "I don't trust him; he has dark hair" -- My girlfriend's mother   !
!       "So I'm stupid; what's your point?" -- Me                         !

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.045608.16512@vpnet.chi.il.us>, louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:
> In article <3344@beguine.UUCP> uchuck@med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:
>>
>>My questions - Will a standard MFM type drive be OK or
>>does the "MODIFIED MFM" mean something like RLL????  Has anyone done this
>>or something like it with third party drives??
>
> I'm 99% sure that by modified MFM they are talking about the fact that the
> drive controller is part of the drive, and not seperate. [...]

    Wrong. The model 60-041 has a MFM controller card and it is
    definately not part of the drive.

    Teemu
--
                             _________