[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] IS P2/2 70 or 80 UART socketed?

dwd@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Diamond) (04/23/91)

Does anyone know if the 16550 in PS/2 model 80-111 or 70-121
is socketed, so it can be replaced with a 16550A?

We have several, and I do not want to search for the proper chip
if it will not be changable.

Thanks,
D Diamond, University of Chicago
dwd@gsbsun.uchicago.edu
.

U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (From The Mind Of) (04/24/91)

>Does anyone know if the 16550 in PS/2 model 80-111 or 70-121
>is socketed, so it can be replaced with a 16550A?

Well, those models contain logic in VLSI chips that are *not* ICs but are
surface-mounted on the motherboard that handle the serial RS-232C port.  The
functional interface is that of an NS16450, but it is in fact contained in
some custom IBM VLSI chips.

If you want a 16550A controlled serial port on those IBM PS/2s, you'll need
to get a serial port card that actually contains one or contains a chip that
can be replaced by one.

If you need communications that take even less CPU time than a serial port
controlled by a 16550A, try:

Extended Serial Port for PS/2s

 From: Advanced Microcomputer Systems, Inc.
       1321 NW 165th Place
       Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
Phone: 1-305-975-9515 / 1-800-972-3733
       1-305-975-9698

This is a serial port bus-mastering Micro Channel adapter that confirms to
the intelligent extended serial port (ESP) specifications proposed by Hayes.

There is a Windows 3.0 driver for ESP serial ports too.  It's much better
performance that 16550A FIFO serial ports.

- Darius
   BITNET: U39648@UICVM             | "I'd rather laugh with the sinners
 Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu     |         than cry with the saints,
====================================|  the sinners are much more fun,
  "Don't set fire to strangers."    |  and only the good die young."
  - Mr. Zarniwoop                   |  - Billy Joel