[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] MCA Soundblaster?

ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) (05/10/91)

I think I joined the internet just as the discussion was ending, but
did someone report a MicroChannel version of the Creative Labs
SoundBlaster card?  I love my PS/2, but finding peripherals is a real
headache!

Is the MCA Soundblaster card hard vaporware, or is it already on the
shelves?  I can probably have someone local order one once I have an
order number...

Sorry if this is repetitious, and thanks in advance.

					Yours,

					Ken Steele
					<ksteele@epas.utoronto.ca>

sc151111@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.012803.23642@epas.toronto.edu> ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
>I think I joined the internet just as the discussion was ending, but
>did someone report a MicroChannel version of the Creative Labs
>SoundBlaster card?  I love my PS/2, but finding peripherals is a real
>headache!
>
>Is the MCA Soundblaster card hard vaporware, or is it already on the
>shelves?  I can probably have someone local order one once I have an
>order number...

Well, some people have it, some don't.  Creative Labs had a pre-release
special price of $250.  I ordered it, but I haven't received it yet.
A rather ingenious friend of mine in Germany got his and even managed to
fix a bug in the design.  (Du, ich habe vergessen wie es geht.  Kanst
Du noch einmal uns sagen was wir machen muessen???)

That little Germany tidbit was for him.  I hope I didn't make too many
errors.  Anyway, the only difference with it is that it doesn't have
an on-board amplifier (no real loss, because it wasn't that powerful
anyway), and it can't support the CMS chips.  But it does have a
joystick port!

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Let me take you far away                                    a.k.a. Timur Tabi
You'd like a holiday                          Internet: sc151111@seas.gwu.edu
Exchange the cold days for the sun              Bitnet:          HE891C@GWUVM
The good times ... and fun         -- Scorpions (awesome concert 5/10/91!)

kluge@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Kluge) (05/12/91)

In article <3189@sparko.gwu.edu> sc151111@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
>In article <1991May10.012803.23642@epas.toronto.edu> ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
>>I think I joined the internet just as the discussion was ending, but
>>shelves?  I can probably have someone local order one once I have an
>>order number...
>>
>special price of $250.  I ordered it, but I haven't received it yet.
>A rather ingenious friend of mine in Germany got his and even managed to
>fix a bug in the design.  (Du, ich habe vergessen wie es geht.  Kanst
>Du noch einmal uns sagen was wir machen muessen???)

No problem, the German was excellent. Okay, here is the bug fix:
The bug consists of a chip which is of the wrong speed type. It is
U23. I do not have my card at hand, but I believe it is located in
the second row from the left, at the bottom. It is marked as U23 on
the board, anyway. It is a 74 LS 32, but should be a 74 F 32 (Fast
instead of Low-Power Schottky).
Carefylly de-solder U23 applying the usual precautions against
static electricity, then solder the 74 F 32 in (Better: solder in a
socket and place the new chip in the socket). That's it.
Beware: Do this only if you are experienced in ICs and be reminded
that this may void your warranty.

Cheers!

Oliver

--
+----- kluge%informatik.tu-muenchen.de@relay.cs.net || @unido.uucp -----+
| Munich Institute of Technology, Mathematics and Computer Sciences SAB |

friedber@convex.UUCP (Don Friedberg) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May10.012803.23642@epas.toronto.edu> ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
>I think I joined the internet just as the discussion was ending, but
>did someone report a MicroChannel version of the Creative Labs
>SoundBlaster card?  I love my PS/2, but finding peripherals is a real
>headache!
>
>Is the MCA Soundblaster card hard vaporware, or is it already on the
>shelves?  I can probably have someone local order one once I have an
>order number...
>
>Sorry if this is repetitious, and thanks in advance.
>
>					Yours,
>
>					Ken Steele
>					<ksteele@epas.utoronto.ca>

I got my Soundblaster MCV (that's what Creative Labs calls it) a couple of
weeks ago.  I have a PS/2 model 70 16mhz and it did indeed have the bug
mentioned in the previous notes.  After verifying that fact with the
Creative Labs technical people I sent the board back to them to be fixed.

I made a map of all of the components on the board before I sent it back.
IF the thing ever shows up I will post to this group what changes were made.
I suspect that they will be changing the OR gate that was previously reported
to be the problem.

				Don

P.S.  One other problem I had was that the output level of the board was too
      low for the Sony Amplifying speakers that I bought to detect a signal
      and thus I got barely audible sound from the board.  The fact the the
      Soundblaster MCV does not have an amplifier definitely caused a small
      problem.  I was able to get it working with an old clock radio/cassette
      player unit that I had which had an auxilary(sp?) jack.