[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] External floppy drive headache

<U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> (05/17/91)

I have a Pacific Rim high-density external 5.25 floppy drive connected to
my 30-286.  It performed admirable for a while, but now the drive motor won't
even spin the disk.  If I selected drive B:, the in-use LED would glow, but
nothing more.

Because the warranty already expired, I decided to open the unit.  To my sur-
prise, a Toshiba drive was inside.  My only question is this:  could I go to
my friendly neighborhood computer store and buy a Toshiba drive and do a swap?
Also, If I were to sell the junked drive for parts, how much could I expect to
get for it?

mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) (05/18/91)

In article <91137.103609U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> U35828@uicvm.uic.edu writes:
>I have a Pacific Rim high-density external 5.25 floppy drive connected to
>my 30-286.  It performed admirable for a while, but now the drive motor won't
>even spin the disk.  If I selected drive B:, the in-use LED would glow, but
>nothing more.

Does the drive get the 12V power? I had once problems with an external
drive with similar symptons to yours. It had one wire with bad connection
and didn't get the 12V power. The logic on the drive need only 5V power so
the LED glows.

>Because the warranty already expired, I decided to open the unit.  To my sur-
>prise, a Toshiba drive was inside.  My only question is this:  could I go to
>my friendly neighborhood computer store and buy a Toshiba drive and do a swap?
Yes.

>Also, If I were to sell the junked drive for parts, how much could I expect to
>get for it?
Nothing.... 0$ !!!

Markus Strand
mstr@vipunen.hut.fi