[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] all

"henderson hood" <henderson.hood@canrem.uucp> (05/20/91)

Hi Users,

I have an IBM PS2 model 50z, and I would like to install some kind
of sound board - adlib's clone- . I would like to know where I can
obtain a sound board that will is hardware compatible to the ps2.

I am not interested in IBM's sound board as it is not software
supported like the adlib or sound-blaster. Any king of suggetions
will be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps there's a sound board in the market that connects to the
serial port of any computer?

thanksn...
hendy
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

From The Mind Of <U39648@uicvm.uic.edu> (05/21/91)

>I have an IBM PS2 model 50z, and I would like to install some kind
>of sound board - adlib's clone- . I would like to know where I can
>obtain a sound board that will is hardware compatible to the ps2.
>
>I am not interested in IBM's sound board as it is not software
>supported like the adlib or sound-blaster. Any king of suggetions
>will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Perhaps there's a sound board in the market that connects to the
>serial port of any computer?

I've seen a few music/sound products that hook up through the parallel
port, but if you're looking for AdLib/SoundBlaster compatibility, that's
not the way to go...

Why not just go with the SoundBlaster MC?  It's a Micro Channel version
of the SoundBlaster that will take up a 16-bit slot, and will also allow
a joystick.  Initial production problems appear to be licked (from the
people I've talked to) and the product should be in the $200-300 range.

- Darius
   BITNET: U39648@UICVM             | "I'd rather laugh with the sinners
 Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu     |         than cry with the saints,
====================================|  the sinners are much more fun,
  "Don't set fire to strangers."    |  and only the good die young."
  - Mr. Zarniwoop                   |  - Billy Joel

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (Teemu J. M|tt|nen) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.1491.439@canrem.uucp>, henderson.hood@canrem.uucp (henderson hood) writes:
> Hi Users,
>
> I have an IBM PS2 model 50z, and I would like to install some kind
> of sound board - adlib's clone- . I would like to know where I can
> obtain a sound board that will is hardware compatible to the ps2.

    You could buy the SoundBlaster MCV (MicroChannel Version).
    It's just like the regular SoundBlaster, without an on-board
    amplifier though. And the SB is fully AdLib compatible.

    I'm not sure if any mail-order companies have this card yet,
    I bought mine from Brown-Wagh Publishing for $250.

    Hope this helps,
    Teemu.
--
    Teemu Mottonen / Department of Computer Science / University of Helsinki
    tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi | TMOTTONEN@FINUH | tmottone@kruuna.helsinki.fi