[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Info on 8515

IO80141@MAINE.BITNET (Steve Trefethen) (05/19/91)

The 8515 is capable of resolution up to 1024x768 w/ 256 colors
if it is attached to an 8514/A adapter.  PC World Aug. 1990 pg. 88
states that "IBM does not, however, support 800 by 600 super-VGA
operation."  :(
-steve

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (05/21/91)

Sayeth IO80141@MAINE.BITNET (Steve Trefethen):
$The 8515 is capable of resolution up to 1024x768 w/ 256 colors
$if it is attached to an 8514/A adapter.  PC World Aug. 1990 pg. 88
$states that "IBM does not, however, support 800 by 600 super-VGA
$operation."  :(

   Why should they?  IBM doesn't make any super-VGA adapters, and we all
agree with IBM that nobody uses non-IBM hardware, right?

   Personally, I wonder why anyone would buy IBM hardware in the first
place.  IBM hasn't had a PC that's on the leading edge in the IBM PC
and compatible market since the 8 MHz AT, their products are overpriced,
they keep coming out with machines that aren't 100% compatible with
their previous products, and their hardware is not as reliable as that
of many other manufacturers.
--
.--------------------------------------.nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver
`--------------------------------------'a vaguely phallic .signature

austin@hubcap.clemson.edu (Austin Swift) (05/24/91)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

>Sayeth IO80141@MAINE.BITNET (Steve Trefethen):
>$The 8515 is capable of resolution up to 1024x768 w/ 256 colors
>$if it is attached to an 8514/A adapter.  PC World Aug. 1990 pg. 88
>$states that "IBM does not, however, support 800 by 600 super-VGA
>$operation."  :(

>   Why should they?  IBM doesn't make any super-VGA adapters, and we all
>agree with IBM that nobody uses non-IBM hardware, right?

>   Personally, I wonder why anyone would buy IBM hardware in the first
>place.  IBM hasn't had a PC that's on the leading edge in the IBM PC
>and compatible market since the 8 MHz AT, their products are overpriced,
>they keep coming out with machines that aren't 100% compatible with
>their previous products, and their hardware is not as reliable as that
>of many other manufacturers.
>--
>.--------------------------------------.nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver
>|Silver, perpetually searching for SNTF|----------------------------

>`--------------------------------------'a vaguely phallic .signature

The 8515 monitor is capable of 1024 x 768 with XGA adapter, which is
backward compatible with VGA.  This monitor also has the lowest EMR
emissions of ANY color VGA and most monochrome VGA monitors.  I would
call this leading edge.

You should also look at the reviews of the Model 90 and 95 machines.
They run circles around the Compaq models and are cpu ugradable.  I
would call this leading edge also.

Austin Swift
Information Systems Development
Clemson University