[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] PS/2 30-286 CRASH

lloyd@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Williams Lloyd) (05/28/91)

Last Friday my PS/2 30 -286 crashed. The error message it
gives on rebooting is 2401. On running the test program on
the startup disk the test reports a 2402. Error could someone
tell me what these mean. The symptoms are the color screen
has gone black and white, and the image is obscured by "snow".
A dealer I talked said this would require a new mother board
for $595, is there any alternative. Could I replace the mother board
with a clone board, or is it possible to trade in my damaged board
as part payment on a new one.

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.150434.15503@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> lloyd@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Williams Lloyd) writes:
>Last Friday my PS/2 30 -286 crashed. The error message it
>gives on rebooting is 2401. On running the test program on
>the startup disk the test reports a 2402. Error could someone
>tell me what these mean. The symptoms are the color screen
>has gone black and white, and the image is obscured by "snow".
>A dealer I talked said this would require a new mother board
>for $595, is there any alternative. Could I replace the mother board
>with a clone board, or is it possible to trade in my damaged board
>as part payment on a new one.

Another alternative is to send the motherboard to a indepenedant
repair shop such as Computer Component Repair Service (Lisle, IL,
1-708-515-1120) or American Computer Repair (Allentown, PA, 1-215-
391-0100). These places will fix the board for a flat fee (I think
around $250 for the model 30) and offer some kind of warranty. Call
them for details. These are just two of many repair shops available
that I happended to have dealt with, I in no way endorse them over any
of their competitors. Before sending off your motherboard, you may
want to double check that it is the problem by trying out your monitor
on someone elses PS/2. Hope this helps, good luck!
-
-
-
---
Ted Goldstein                            E-mail: du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Network and Systems Admninistrator       Phone : (317) 494-9070
Purdue University School of Technology   Office: Knoy Hall, Rm G009
Philosophy's alright, when you have a house to think about it in-Arlo Guthrie