[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] Shake, Rattle, and Roll?

U35828@uicvm.uic.edu (06/03/91)

Hello,

I have an 8512 monitor (the not-so-cheap and fuzzy one) connected to a
Model 30-286.  Recently, however, something weird has been happening.
Sometimes, the screen image starts to do something akin to losing its
vertical hold (as on some older tv's).  If not that, sometimes the image
appears to vibrate "up and down" rapidly, stop, and repeat.

I've run the diagnostics with the starter diskette, but I don't get any
errors with the VGA on the planar board.  Could this be a problem with
the monitor itself?  As I recall on earlier posts here, that people
complained about the 8513 having problems as well.

Thanks!

John D. Serrano <U35828@UICVM.UIC.EDU>

cosper@seq.uncwil.edu (Kit Cosper) (06/04/91)

We have one of the hi-res mono monitors at work on a 55SX.
One of our "brilliant" receptionists noticed a similar
phenomena.  It was due to her electric pencil sharpener.
She complained for days because it would never do it when
I was in the room.  I didn't know she had installed the pencil
sharpener, so didn't bother to ask about that possibility.
Finally she sharpened a pencil when I was on the machine.

 Could you possibly have a hidden demon somewhere in the room?
 I don't know how long it would've taken me to find ours
 if it weren't for chance.

--

Kit Cosper
cosper@seq.uncwil.edu

<U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> (06/06/91)

As far as electrical interferance is concerned (so as to affect my PS/2
8512 monitor), there is virtually none.  If there was any, wouldn't
suppressing it be the power strip's job (at least mine is supposed to do
that)?  Darn it, it just did it again.

I ran a diagnostics test, using the disk that came with my 30-286, but
the on-board VGA checks out (at least no error beeps).

<U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.215327.29830@uunet.uu.net>, dch@uunet.uu.net (Dan C.
Horner) says:

>Just to add my own .02 here, your power strip doesn't suppress the
>emanations which are not coming from the electrical connections.
>
>I used to work at IBM - Bethesda, and we had a demo room that backed up
>to the main building transformers and incoming power lines (the main
>junction for power). We couldn't use any demo machines that were closer
>than 10 in. to that wall as it would cause the display to make nifty
>snaketrack patterns that convinced you of the oddities of life...
>
>Perhaps you have something of this nature occuring ?

Well, a set of 2000 volt power lines (plus a step-down transformer to
convert it to 120VAC) run about 80-85 feet away from my house.  Should
this be of any significance?

John D. Serrano
 John Serrano-Bitnet: <U35828@UICVM>, Internet: <U35828@UICVM.UIC.EDU>
+     ________                                                       +
+    /__    =_\=====|-----------/   "Never before have so few been   +
+    __|____|____      | Eurgh! |    so foul to so many" -anon.      +
+   \O_O_O_O_O_O_O/    ---------\                                    +

dch@uunet.uu.net (Dan C. Horner) (06/07/91)

In article <91156.230143U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> <U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
>As far as electrical interferance is concerned (so as to affect my PS/2
>8512 monitor), there is virtually none.  If there was any, wouldn't
>suppressing it be the power strip's job (at least mine is supposed to do
>that)?  Darn it, it just did it again.
>
>I ran a diagnostics test, using the disk that came with my 30-286, but
>the on-board VGA checks out (at least no error beeps).

Just to add my own .02 here, your power strip doesn't suppress the
emanations which are not coming from the electrical connections.
Here is an example of what I mean;

I used to work at IBM - Bethesda, and we had a demo room that backed up
to the main building transformers and incoming power lines (the main
junction for power). We couldn't use any demo machines that were closer
than 10 in. to that wall as it would cause the display to make nifty
snaketrack patterns that convinced you of the oddities of life...

Perhaps you have something of this nature occuring ?

Dan

dch@uunet.uu.net (Dan C. Horner) (06/13/91)

>Well, a set of 2000 volt power lines (plus a step-down transformer to
>convert it to 120VAC) run about 80-85 feet away from my house.  Should
>this be of any significance?
>
>John D. Serrano

I would think that should be more than sufficient distance to block
any interference. A way you could check it would be if you had
something lying around to use as a piece of shielding... Say heavy
steel or lead ? We were looking into shielding the wall when I was
at IBM so something should work...

Good Luck !

Dan