[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] IBM PS/2 Model 50 Clock and Mouse Problems

aaronh@ms.uky.edu (Aaron Herskowitz) (06/19/91)

I own an IBM PS/2 Model 50-021 (the first release of the Model 50,)
and I have problems with my clock not keeping the correct time for
very long.  Everytime I reset it, it only stays correct for a short
time (1 week.)

Also, I have problems with my IBM 2-button mouse that I purchased with the
computer.  It works with some programs, but others (like MicroSoft
Word,) it seems to get stuck and freaks the whole program out to a
point where I have to quit.  It is not the mouse buttons sticking I
don't think, but possibly a port problem or even software/mouse driver
problem.

Both of these probs have been around since it was new out of the box.

Has anyone else had or heard of problems like this?  If so, what can I
do?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated....Thanks...
Aaron
<>  Aaron Herskowitz   ><    aaronh@ms.uky.edu   ><   University of Kentucky  <>

U35828@uicvm.uic.edu (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.165223.15297@ms.uky.edu>, aaronh@ms.uky.edu (Aaron
Herskowitz) says:

>I own an IBM PS/2 Model 50-021 (the first release of the Model 50,)
>and I have problems with my clock not keeping the correct time for
>very long.  Everytime I reset it, it only stays correct for a short
>time (1 week.)
>
>Also, I have problems with my IBM 2-button mouse that I purchased with the
>computer.  It works with some programs, but others (like MicroSoft
>Word,) it seems to get stuck and freaks the whole program out to a
>point where I have to quit.  It is not the mouse buttons sticking I
>don't think, but possibly a port problem or even software/mouse driver
>problem.

I've been having similar problems with my PS/2 Model 30-286 (bios
version 06/28/89).  Every every couple of months or so, I would get the
incorrect date and time.  My mouse would do the goofy trick that you
described, but it does it under Windows 3.0.  The only way I could
correct this is by running Norton SI from Windows.

 John Serrano-Bitnet: <U35828@UICVM>, Internet: <U35828@UICVM.UIC.EDU>

 Bond:  "Do you expect me to talk?"
 Goldfinger:  "No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!"

Dean@cup.portal.com (Ron Dean Nadeau) (06/20/91)

The problems which are mentioned are corrected, apparently,
by loading the dasddrv.sys which is shipped with all? ps2s.
I use a model 60 but don't use this and (usually 8) everything
works ok.

U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (Darius Vaskelis) (06/20/91)

Note: If I even HINTED that the following was me speaking for UIC or
IBM, I'm sure I'd be in all sorts of trouble.  Understand it's just
little old me speaking for myself and NOT on behalf of those fine
three-lettered institutions.

>I own an IBM PS/2 Model 50-021 (the first release of the Model 50,)
>and I have problems with my clock not keeping the correct time for
>very long.  Everytime I reset it, it only stays correct for a short
>time (1 week.)

The fix for this is a two-parter, and it assumes you are using DOS.

1. Obtain the latest DASDDRVR.SYS file and make sure it's installed in
   your CONFIG.SYS file.  It's recommended to be the very first line of
   the CONFIG.SYS file.  It fixes all sorts of problems with earlier
   PS/2s with DOS.  The latest one I've seen is 1170 bytes long, and
   you can get it by contacting your IBM authorized dealer if you're
   an individual or your IBM marketing or technical support rep if
   you're an organization.  It also can be found on any IBM PS/2
   Reference Diskette for any model PS/2, provided it's a new enough
   version of the reference.  I believe the latest Reference Diskette
   for the Models 50/60 was 1.06.

2. If using DOS 4.0, get a copy of the latest DOS 4.0 Corrective
   Service Diskettes (CSDs), they are U31300, dated 06/29/90.  You
   can find out if you alredy have this by typing the SYSLEVEL
   command, it will tell you what DOS 4.0 version you have.  If
   SYSLEVEL is not recognized as a command, you have a very old
   IBM DOS indeed.  Get the CSD, it fixes LOTS of bugs.

   (Again, get it through your dealer or rep depending on how you
    bought the computer in the first place.)

   In any case, the CSD contains a file called CMOSCLK.SYS on the
   first disk in the \DOCUMENT subdirectory.  Place it in your
   CONFIG.SYS file too.  It's also some PS/2 DOS fixes, in this case
   specifically for the clock.

   IBM DOS 5.0 comes with CMOSCLK.SYS too.

   Usually any odd problems I've seen with PS/2s running DOS 4.0 have
   been totally cleared up with (1) making sure they use the latest
   DOS 4.0 (2) making sure they use the CMOSCLK.SYS file (3) making
   sure they use the DASDDRVR.SYS file.

>Also, I have problems with my IBM 2-button mouse that I purchased with the
>computer.  It works with some programs, but others (like MicroSoft
>Word,) it seems to get stuck and freaks the whole program out to a
>point where I have to quit.  It is not the mouse buttons sticking I
>don't think, but possibly a port problem or even software/mouse driver
>problem.

This is supposedly some bug in the Microsoft Mouse driver (which the
IBM Mouse Driver is a clone of).  I've had better luck with newer
versions of the IBM Mouse Driver (1.10?  I think...) and even better
luck with the Microsoft Mouse Driver 7.04 (although I think the latest
is 7.06).  With MOUSE.COM 7.04, my PS/2 mouse now has "freaked out"
maybe twice in the last year, whereas with the IBM MOUSE.COM 1.0 I
could make it go nuts easily with the right programs.

The only problem with the Microsoft driver is that it's MUCH larger
than the PS/2 one, probably because it also supports InPort bus mouses
and serial mouses.

(I refuse to use "mice" for computer mouses.  Don't know why, just
 because.)

- Darius

P.S. My local authorized IBM dealer says he'll be taking IBM PS/2 Model
     50s (among others) as trade-ins for PS/2s with 386SXs or better
     processors... INCLUDING those fine educational priced ones.  Maybe
     it's time to trade up?  :)

     Even weirder: he says not only IBM 80286 and under systems can be
     traded in, but also Compaq DeskPro 80286 and under, and Apple
     Macintosh SE/30 and under!  This is something you might want to
     verify and check out with your local dealer or rep.

   BITNET: U39648@UICVM             | "I'd rather laugh with the sinners
 Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu     |         than cry with the saints,
====================================|  the sinners are much more fun,
  "Don't set fire to strangers."    |  and only the good die young."
  - Mr. Zarniwoop                   |  - Billy Joel

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (06/21/91)

In article <91171.101417U39648@uicvm.uic.edu>, U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (Darius Vaskelis) writes:
> 1. Obtain the latest DASDDRVR.SYS file and make sure it's installed in
>    your CONFIG.SYS file.  It's recommended to be the very first line of
>    the CONFIG.SYS file.  It fixes all sorts of problems with earlier
>    PS/2s with DOS.  The latest one I've seen is 1170 bytes long, and
>    you can get it by contacting your IBM authorized dealer if you're
>    an individual or your IBM marketing or technical support rep if
>    you're an organization.  It also can be found on any IBM PS/2
>    Reference Diskette for any model PS/2, provided it's a new enough
>    version of the reference.  I believe the latest Reference Diskette
>    for the Models 50/60 was 1.06.

It might be worth mentioning, for the curious, that this file doesn't just
fix DASD (the IBM word for disk) problems. It was originally intended for that;
what it actually contains are at least half a dozen BIOS patches to fix
various disk, clock and other bugs in early revisions of the various IBM
BIOS ROMs on PS/2s. It does a lot of checks on the precise BIOS revision, and
doesn't install itself if it isn't needed. So, there is no harm in installing
it anyway; it won't take up space unless you actually need it.

As far as I am aware, there is one DASDDRVR.SYS for *all* PS/2s except the
Model 30; it installs the bits needed for the appropriate system and BIOS
revision. The Model 30 one is different (the machine itself is substantially
different, e.g. it isn't MCA).

If you're using OS/2 (from IBM) it automatically installs an F?????.BIO
file which does the same job. The numbers after the F refer to the machine
type and BIOS revision being fixed.

P.S. DASD = 'Direct Access Storage Device'    (I think)
Bob Eager                   | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk               | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
rde@ibmpcug.co.uk           |
100016.2770@compuserve.com  |