[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] ERROR: Lotus 123 and MS.DOS 5 and PS2-80

jwd@cs.brown.edu (James W. Durkin) (06/21/91)

This is a Lotus error.  It was mentioned in several of the press articles
discussing the intro of DOS 5.0 (PC Week in particular).  Apparently
Louts and at least on other major application have 5.0 problems.
Email me if you want more info, and I'll try to dig up the article(s)
with the details.

:.: jwd

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/22/91)

<SPW103@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>I just installed MSDOS 5.0 on a PS2 model 80, and I everything seems to work fi
>ne except for Lotus 123 version 3.1.  When I try to start this application, the
> graphical intro screen comes up, but then I get the following error:

>      "DOS/16M ERROR: [17] system software does not follow VCPI or DPMI
>       specifications."

>And then it kicks me out to the C: prompt.  Does anybody know what this error
>means?  It isn't clear to me whether this is a Lotus error or a system error.
>Any and all ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks alot.

There's a note about LOTUS in the appnotes.txt file in DOS 5.0 which
says that if you've got drivers or whatever in upper memory then you
must use the /ram option on emm386.sys.  Check out the readme file
and see if it applies to your situation.

I don't run 1-2-3 so I have no way to say what nastiness 1-2-3 produces
if you don't follow the note.

Joe Morris

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (06/23/91)

is there any way to avoid this tragedy?
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong