[comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware] new optical disks

jdb@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (John D. Boote) (06/21/91)

Hi everyone. I have been reading here and there about IBMs new read write optical disk
drive. I was wondering if it is actually being sold, what the retail and street prices
are, what the media costs, what interfaces it uses(e.g., scsi esdi etc.). and success or
problems with it. It just came out I believe, its a 122-155 meg magneto-optical drive that
can also read read only disks.

Thanks
John D. Boote( jdb@gvgspd.gvg.tek.com)

frontah@rpi.edu (David J Sotnick) (06/28/91)

Yes, the IBM Read/Write Optical drive is out, and should now be available
throught Authorised IBM dealers. The list price I think is $1700 and the media
is around $50. That is 127Mb Formatted Capacity. The drive is SCSI and
obviously requires a SCSI host adapter, or one of the new Model 57SX's with
SCSI on the motherboard.

If you have any questions on this product, let me know.

David Sotnick
IBM Optical/Tape Storage Development Dept., Boca Raton, FL.

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (06/29/91)

In article <k1glshc@rpi.edu> frontah@rpi.edu (David J Sotnick) writes:
>Yes, the IBM Read/Write Optical drive is out, and should now be available
>throught Authorised IBM dealers.
.
.
.
>If you have any questions on this product, let me know.
>David Sotnick
>IBM Optical/Tape Storage Development Dept., Boca Raton, FL.

Can I install AIX directly to a disk?? It would be great to be able
to hold the OS in your hand when you were about to do a new install,
or switch between OSes, etc.

hh