[comp.os.os2.programmer] Microsoft C 6.0 Bug - Please HELP !!!!!!!

oleg@ibm.com (07/13/90)

The following program causes internal error Microsoft Compiler 6.0.
This does not happen with 5.1. What an improvement !

#define mtod(x,t)       ((t)((unsigned long)(x) + (unsigned long)((x)->m_off)))

struct mbuf {
        struct  mbuf far *m_next;
        unsigned long  m_off;
        short   m_len;
        short   m_type;
        unsigned char  m_dat[128];
        struct  mbuf far *m_act;
};

try()
{
   struct mbuf far *m;

   a(mtod(m, char far *));
}

oleg@ibm.com (07/13/90)

Does anybody know what is Microsoft hot-line number for the C
compiler problems like that ?

Oleg Vishnepolsky
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.202632.21275@arnor.uucp> oleg@ibm.com writes:

>Does anybody know what is Microsoft hot-line number for the C
>compiler problems like that ?
>
>Oleg Vishnepolsky
>IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
If the people at IBM T.J. Watson can't get ahold of Microsoft, lord help
the rest of us!!!!

Actually what has happened is that they still have phone support, but
you have to make a toll call to find out what it is.  They'd much rather
you waste a bunch of money signing up for their on-line help service, which
is priced at a level only affordable by corporate programmers whose bosses
have more money than sense.

--
Kent Williams                    'Look, I can understand "teenage mutant ninja
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu    turtles", but I can't understand "mutually

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul12.202632.21275@arnor.uucp> oleg@ibm.com writes:

>Does anybody know what is Microsoft hot-line number for the C
>compiler problems like that ?

I have bad news for you.  Having used MSC 6.0 for (what was going to be)
production material, I have found 2 Fatal compiler errors and once found bad
code being generated.  The total hotline support from MS has been "your error
is on file".  They refuse to give out bug lists and they have no patches.  In
other words, if you use MSC 6.0, tough luck.  These were for real, repeatable,
short bugs.  I hate to see what they might do for subtle bugs.

  I would strongly advise going back to 5.1 until 6.1 comes out if you have the
choice.  I had to strip out all the 6.0 features I foolishly put in when we
realized that 6.0 wasn't safe or supported in any real way.  Luckily, my boss
(who warned me about switching from 5.1) is fairly forgiving, despite the lost
development time.

			Tom West

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (07/16/90)

In article <1854@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu.UUCP (Kent Williams) writes:
> They'd much rather
>you waste a bunch of money signing up for their on-line help service, which
>is priced at a level only affordable by corporate programmers whose bosses
>have more money than sense.

Now! just what do you mean by "more money than sense", I happen to think
ONLINE is worth every penny paid! And I'm not a manager!
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corporation		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		Internet: jack@csccat.lonestar.org