[comp.os.os2.programmer] Question: DOSCALLS.LIB and OS2.LIB

gerry@dialogic.dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (08/27/90)

I've been working with some "older"  OS/2 code (OS/2 isn't old enough
to have "old" code yet :-) and I have several files that are supposed to
link with OS2.LIB.

Now, being new to OS/2, I have a 1.2 development system and couldn't
find OS2.LIB on it.  I found it on an older development machine, and
examined it.  It seemed to be DOSCALLS.LIB with a different name and a
different size.  Is this assumption correct?  Linking with either library
produced a binary that ran and was also the same size (of course, this
could be just coincidence).

Thanks for any replies...

-gerry

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (08/29/90)

In article <1312@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@dialogic.dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>Now, being new to OS/2, I have a 1.2 development system and couldn't
>find OS2.LIB on it.  I found it on an older development machine, and
>examined it.  It seemed to be DOSCALLS.LIB with a different name and a
>different size.  Is this assumption correct?  Linking with either library
>produced a binary that ran and was also the same size (of course, this
>could be just coincidence).
>
>-gerry

DOSCALLS.LIB and OS2.LIB are import libraries for the DLL's of the OS/2
system. They resolve all references to system calls and place dynamic
link records into the executable which are detected by the loader and
replaces by addresses of the actual loaded DLL entries. The difference
between these two libraries is, that DOSCALLS.LIB does originally only
include definitions for the base system of OS/2 without the Presentation
Manager where OS2.LIB contains definitions for all system calls.
When linking base applications (VIO programs), it makes no difference
(except speed at link time ?) which library you use.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich