[comp.os.os2.programmer] OS/2 system crashes

cpa@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Chris Armstrong) (10/05/90)

Does anyone know what causes OS/2 to crash with the message;

An unmaskable interrupt has occurred
TRAP 0002

Register dump

Internal processing error at 02xx:xxxx
The system is stopped

Or words to that effect.  I've been using IBM OS/2 1.2 S.E. for about
7 months without seeing this error.  The appearance of the error seems to
coincide with the upgrade from 4Mb to 8Mb of ram - is TRAP 002 a parity
error?  I also recently installed the XR04053 CSD, could this be the problem?
The error occurrs at random intervals.  After well over an hour doing 8
separate compiles which appeared to be using all available RAM (according to
FREEMEM.EXE) and lots of heavy disc accessing the system stopped when
everything was finished and I tried to open a VIO screen.  The error does not
always coincide with opening a VIO screen though.
The computer I'm using is an Epson Equity II+ and an Everex RAM8000 memory
expansion card.  I don't have any other high current using expansion cards
so the power supply should be addequate.
Any help advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris Armstrong

P.S. Has anyone ever got the plotter driver for PM to work with PicPrint, for
either an HP plotter or an IBM plotter?

P.P.S. Does anyone know a phone number where technical advice about OS/2
can be obtained from IBM (such as what TRAP 0002 means).  The only number I
have gets me to a dealer routing service.  None of the dealers I've been
routed to know anything about OS/2 (ugh! whas tha, a new clone!!).

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (10/06/90)

In article <2189@bnlux0.bnl.gov> cpa@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Chris Armstrong) writes:

>An unmaskable interrupt has occurred
>TRAP 0002

The non-maskable interrupt/TRAP 2 is indeed used to signal a parity
error.  Sounds like you've got a bad memory board (or some other problem
that is masquerading as such!).

>P.P.S. Does anyone know a phone number where technical advice about OS/2
>can be obtained from IBM (such as what TRAP 0002 means).  The only number I
>have gets me to a dealer routing service.  None of the dealers I've been
>routed to know anything about OS/2 (ugh! whas tha, a new clone!!).

If you are US corporation developing OS/2 applications you can try
joining their "Developer Assistance Programm".  I've heard it is a good source
of information, though I have no access myself.
Otherwise, if you're an IBM Corporate customer with access to IBMlink, you can
in theory report problems, ask for help etc. there.  I've never found it
much use.
For everyone else, the dealer network is supposed to deal with all
your problems.  As everybody except IBM knows, that is worse than useless.

Best source of answers to questions is right here on comp.os.os2.*. Not
from IBM, but from people who at least know what it is. There are even
some Micrsoft programmers who jump in with answers often.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

yozzo@arnor.uucp (10/10/90)

According to the Intel 80386 Programmer's reference manual page
9-13 Trap 2  is a benign exception and it is a Non Maskable
interrupt.
There is not much information about it.

One phone number that may be helpful is the
NSD software number and this requires a customer number

The number is
  1-800 237 5511

Ralph Yozzo