[comp.os.os2.programmer] OS/2 profiler

cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) (10/24/90)

Does anyone know if there is a profiler under OS/2 simliar in
capabilities to 'Inside!' that will work with PM?

If not, I have a question on building one.

I understand how DosPTrace works, but I can't figure out how to
debug the PM thread for window object procedures.  There is no way
to gain ownership of it, so what's to be done?  The new Multiscope (1.1?)
under PM can debug PM programs, but does it actually debug the PM
thread in the program's window procs?  If so, how?

Thanks.
--
oo            - I live for the day earth becomes a domain name -            oo
\/ Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu \/

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (10/25/90)

From article <1990Oct24.152750.2775@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas):
> to gain ownership of it, so what's to be done?  The new Multiscope (1.1?)
> under PM can debug PM programs, but does it actually debug the PM
> thread in the program's window procs?  If so, how?

The new Multiscope can debug PM programs?  Is the PM program debugger (see
below) a PM application in itself?

The last time I used Multiscope, it had a PM debugger written in text mode,
and a debugger for text programs written in PM.

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@prism.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) (10/27/90)

In article <11126@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
>From article <1990Oct24.152750.2775@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas):
>> to gain ownership of it, so what's to be done?  The new Multiscope (1.1?)
>> under PM can debug PM programs, but does it actually debug the PM
>> thread in the program's window procs?  If so, how?
>
>The new Multiscope can debug PM programs?  Is the PM program debugger (see
>below) a PM application in itself?
>
>The last time I used Multiscope, it had a PM debugger written in text mode,
>and a debugger for text programs written in PM.

Yes.  I just received Multiscope's newest specs (v1.1) that allow a PM
program to be debugged by the PM program.  It seems OS/2 v1.1 was at
fault, not Multiscope.  Wouldn't be worth it without a high-res screen,
though.

--

afscian@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Anthony Scian) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct24.152750.2775@sbcs.sunysb.edu> cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a profiler under OS/2 simliar in
>capabilities to 'Inside!' that will work with PM?
Yes, WATCOM C8.0/286 includes one in the Professional Edition.
It allows individual threads of execution to be analyzed at the source
and assembly level.

Anthony
--
//// Anthony Scian afscian@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca afscian@watmsg.waterloo.edu ////
"I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" -U2